• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Step Platform

Greybeard60

Messin around on the CAD System during a snowstorm, and this is what I came up with. With patience, these should be able to be manufactured at home with nothing more than a bandsaw, drill press, and a few files.

upload_2018-1-23_13-8-21.png

upload_2018-1-23_13-9-19.png

upload_2018-1-23_13-10-19.png

upload_2018-1-23_13-10-44.png

upload_2018-1-23_13-11-11.png

upload_2018-1-23_13-11-33.png

upload_2018-1-23_13-11-54.png

upload_2018-1-23_13-12-25.png

6061 T6 aluminum tubing is readily available in this size. You can try 1" instead of 2" if you're concerned with saving weight.

Never mind. I missed the tubing part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is tubing like that available?

You think that would have enough strength to hold up under side pressure?

If I could print out these Jpeg files to scale I could use them as a template.

Do you think if the slot was lower, more towards the center, they would have less chance of kicking out with side pressure?

You think that would have enough strength to hold up under side pressure?

Good question. This is all food for thought at this point, although, my hunting partner out in the shop is going to run one on the 3D printer out of nylon.

I kept the slot high to prevent downward rotation from the hunter's weight, much like the ameristep. It's all a trade off, anyone is free to modify to their heart's content, or not.

If I could print out these Jpeg files to scale I could use them as a template.

I might be able to create a 1:1 dxf file, and then upload it as an attachment. Maybe that can be printed out and used as a template.

So at 6.5" each I would need 3.25' to make six steps. I'd have to order 4'. Material would cost $77 according to the Metals Depot site. Have you made any yet?

No go on the dxf file. Perhaps you can print out this pdf as a 1:1 document for your template.

Attachments

• step_pdf.pdf
    5.8 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: PJC
Back