• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Treesuit user. Tree Climbing method

BobinTN

Hey guys;
There has been some posting of Treesuit users recently. I am one also (at least DIY treesuit). I have been saddle hunting for a little over ten years. But have not kept up with what has been going on in the saddle hunting world. I thought I would share some of the ways I have been doing things. I made a video today to post me climbing up and down a tree. I plan on posting a few more videos to show what I may be doing differently.
So, check out this video of my climbing method.
Treesuit climbing method.

Thanks for the video. I need more, more video's, pic's or anything you have to offer about your system. I'm really liking your DIY treesuit and hope to learn more about this as well as the lone wolf platform and any modifications you've made. Can't wait!!!

Here are some pictures describing more about the setup.
Hunting_Ready.jpg
Hunting ready. This is the carry in.Hunting_Ready.jpg

This is the butt side of the DIY Tree Suit.Treesuit_Butt_Side.jpg
The D-Ring stitching on to the Riggers belt was done with the Speedy Stitcher. The thread I used was B-50, which is a bow string material. I am a traditional shooter and make my on bow strings. I figured if it was strong enough for bow strings it should be strong enough for this use (real scientific...huh). The 2inch bridge strap is from a tow strap from Harbor freight. The buckle is from a website purchase (forget strength rating). The Bridge strap runs under the 3/4inch plywood seat. The riggers belt is what attaches the tree suit to the body. So you sit on the plywood like a botswans seat. I forget where I ordered the fabric/canvas from.

This is the outfacing side of the DIY tree suit.
Treesuit_Out_Side.jpg
The Linesman 7mm rope, runs through the dyneema. The dyneema is self attached to the D-ring. The dyneema works as a 'Chinese fingers' (forgive my lack of proper verbage) on the 7mm rope. It is a one handed operation (I will make a video demonstrating this). the other end of the 7mm has a carabiner for attaching to the other D-ring. I have stitched a loop into the 7mm rope for the carabiner (again speedy with B50). The tether is 11mm with a 7mm prussik to attach to bridge with carabiner, the prussik adjusts of course. Note the pockets sewn on the back to store line and tether.

So is the lone wolf v bar something you've modified or did the old ones come made that way ? Never saw one quite like it.

The old Lone Wolf V-Bars seem to have gone the way of the dodo bird. I cannot find even used ones. The new 'strap based' lone wolfs don't climb as well in this method (my opinion).

The whoopie sling is what I have not seen others doing on this site. It is simple/lightweight/in-expensive/one-handed... I am all about doing things in the least-expensive manner (not necessarily a good (safe) quality). I think using amsteel instead of dyneema (is that a brand/type/weave) would work better. But the dyneema on this has lasted 10 years. I can't say I have taken a hard fall on my linesman belt though.

Cool. How are you climbing up/down without your lineman catching?

When climbing up, the line is supported by my hands/arms (usually I do not use the lineman when climbing (I am old and not so smart). Climbing down, the rope hangs every now and then, but usually just falls on it's on.

What do you mean by 'more info'? Could you be more specific?

I was making a video showing the use of the whoopie sling on the backside of the linesman belt. To be honest, there was some slippage when I put it under a lot of strain. I had noticed some slippage this season(first time). It has been in use for 10 years. So I backed off on the video until I put some new line on.

Great climbing video! Would love to see a video on the tree suit itself. I am new to this and have no background info on this particular type of system. Would like to DIY something similar so if you could possibly do a short video on your build and thoughts behind it would be greatly appreciated. Great idea on the linesman belt going to give that a try. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Sheldon;
Sorry it has taken so long to respond. I went on the web (where I found a build video about 13 or so years ago), trying to find that video to share here. I could not find it. I plan on showing how this DIY treesuit is constructed. I have been out over the holidays.

Thanks much and Happy Year! Looks like a great set up.

1_TS_Parts.png

So, what is in this DIY Tree suit - About $50 worth of parts (price of a ropeman 1)
1.Riggers Belt($8): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Survival-A...3e7ea046a:m:mYJO9qD-OyQHkZ5rBvNbRBg:rk:9:pf:0
2. ¾” plywood 18”x11.5” (~$4)
3. 60” Material ($5.50): https://www.amazon.com/Canvas-Fabri...t=&hvlocphy=1025946&hvtargid=pla-570391936236
4. 104” - 2” Tow Strap Material($16): Harbor Freight used to have soft nylon with camo pattern
5. 8’ - 11mm tether rope ($8)
6. 10’ – 7/8mm Linemans belt rope and prussik rope for tether above
7. 2 – D rings for linesman belt (type does not need to be sewed on) ($8): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078TZGPJW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
8. 1 Caribiner ($6) smallest full strength caribiner: https://www.metoliusclimbing.com/fs_mini_carabiner.html
9. 2’ – 6mm for linemans belt prussik (reverse useage). or hollow braid ski rope for reverse usage linesman belt whoopie sling.
10. 1 – metal snap hook ($1.50): see picture.
11. 1 – 2” strap adjuster($1.50): https://www.strapworks.com/Plastic_Strap_Adjusters_p/psa.htm

2_Canvas_1.png2_Canvas_1.png4_Canvas_3.png
I will not (and can't) explain how to sew. Above you can see the dimensions to cut the canvas before forming the treesuit.

Attachments

• 3_Canvas_2.png
    3_Canvas_2.png
    687.1 KB · Views: 41
Bob, thanks again for the layout. Question on the bridge, does it attach to the plywood or does the fabric “contain” it to keep from moving? One other, for transport without the climber, does the seat just tuck or fold up against your back and the riggers belt keep everything in place? Again never even heard of these till joining the site so forgive me if these are dumb questions.

Back