• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY umbrella

Red Beard

SH Member
Yall got a DIY umbrella solution, dontcha? Let's see em! How do they deploy? How do they pack down?

For $25 I doubt you can beat this with a DIY solution. I been using one for better than 15 years. In all fairness I have two (always need a backup) but both still work just fine. I have two different camo patterns and use one in early season (green) and one later (brown).

It packs down really small, compresses to about 1.5" in diameter by 2' long. Mounts easily to the tree and keeps me dry in the saddle (did in the climber too).

https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/what’s-your-rain-solution.44500/post-608289

As the 2 above have stated, I have used one of those umbrellas for a really long time, both in climbers, and the last 2 years in the saddle. I have had plenty of deer, bucks and does, look up and pay zero attention to it. My one piece of advice is to carry a small screw in bow hook/holder to make a "pilot hole" for the umbrella to screw into. I have lost a number of the umbrella support rods because I couldn't get them unscrewed from the tree.

If you really want to go DIY, go to Dollar General and buy a couple of the el cheapo collapsible, telescoping umbrellas. They collapse down to about 8" total in length. Easy to throw in your pack or side cargo pocket and a length of rubber coated wire. Open it up completely. Take a razor and cut just within the seams of two of the spreads to open up one of the "V" sections of the Umbrella. You may have to do some taping up afterwards depending on how durable the material is and the seam where the wire expander "runs" along the fabric. When you get to HH and after you've installed your gear strap, open up the umbrella, place the "V" section around the tree and slide the handle down inside your gear strap. Take the piece of rubber coated wire and also wrap it around the tree and the stem of the umbrella to firm it up. Sometimes the gear strap will not firm it up enough. Done! And if you ruin or bend it.... who cares? Go get another cheapo. I wrap the wire around the umbrella to keep it from expanding. These also fit in a dump pouch nicely and if you don't want to put it up right away because it isn't raining at the time... you'll have it with you when it does start.

For $25 I doubt you can beat this with a DIY solution. I been using one for better than 15 years. In all fairness I have two (always need a backup) but both still work just fine. I have two different camo patterns and use one in early season (green) and one later (brown).

It packs down really small, compresses to about 1.5" in diameter by 2' long. Mounts easily to the tree and keeps me dry in the saddle (did in the climber too).

https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/what’s-your-rain-solution.44500/post-608289

The description says "light rain". How has it held up in rainy conditions over the past 15 years?

I've used it in some pretty heavy rain as long as it isn't too windy. Once its windy an umbrella isn't going to help much anyway since the rain is horizontal at that point. I've even used it in wet snow conditions although I do have to occasionally knock the snow off it. It's actually pretty solid as it wraps and ties around the tree.

Mike Isbell showed me a trick this past season in Ohio, where it rained everyday! Taking the standard El Cheapo collapsible umbrella from whatever store you have, just take some 550 cord and tie it to one side (when opened). When its opened, throw the 550 around the tree and tie it to another arm. The handle sat right on my bridge, and i tied it there with another loop of 550. As i moved around the tree, the handle followed where it was tied. Its not perfect, but it worked well enough so that i could stay until dark, good thing is you’ve got plenty of time to try it in summertime storms!!

Mike Isbell showed me a trick this past season in Ohio, where it rained everyday! Taking the standard El Cheapo collapsible umbrella from whatever store you have, just take some 550 cord and tie it to one side (when opened). When its opened, throw the 550 around the tree and tie it to another arm. The handle sat right on my bridge, and i tied it there with another loop of 550. As i moved around the tree, the handle followed where it was tied. Its not perfect, but it worked well enough so that i could stay until dark, good thing is you’ve got plenty of time to try it in summertime storms!!
This would be cool to see

I cant speak to other brands, but mine is 10 years old and seen some weather I probably should not have been in a tree during. Little faded, but still solid. You can also use them as a make shift bucket blind since the umbrella has a cutout to fit against the tree.

I used a table umbrella in my boat. Took a piece of PVC pipe attached it to the seat or side of the boat and we looked like the Beverly hillbillies going down the lake.
I have used the tree umbrellas for years and they work great.

Back