• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Do you roll your own?

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
No, not what you are thinking, so get your head out of the back alleys.
I'm talking about clothing storage. I think most of us use some sort of tub to store our hunting clothes...I've done it for a lot of years. But the inside of those tubs can be a disorganized disaster. I try to keep clothes folded and organized but it's a lost cause. I have a little "slob" tendency and before long everything is a tangled mess. I open the tub and look for certain items for the day's hunt and I can't make heads nor tails of what I'm looking at. "Is that the sleeve of the shirt I want or is that a pant leg of the same color?" Sounds trivial but I have gotten to my parking spot only to discover that I have the wrong stuff in my day bin because everything was a cluster **** when I packed for the day. I've spent some chilly days in the stand because I screwed up on which layers I brung.

I was reading some tips somewhere on packing suitcases and bags for traveling where they advocate rolling clothes instead of folding clothes. I decided to employ that tactic on our last 2 Boundary Waters trips and it really worked out well. So well that when we got home I rearranged my drawers and shelves and rolled as much of my clothes as I could. Shelves and drawers that were a tangled mess were suddenly neat, organized, and easy to find what I was looking for. I'm hooked on rolling.

So earlier today, I was putting away, and organizing my hunting clothes after laundering them (and getting ready for the great rutting weather in perfect timing for next week) and I was disgusted with my bin of base and mid layers...what a mess, and there was so much in there that the lid would hardly close.
I decided to roll my own. Holy crap...it's so well organized, and I can see anything and everything that I'm looking for, to transfer to my day tub.
Plus I have so much more room in the tub...might have to buy more stuff to fill it up! Anyone have any discount codes? LOL
Forget folding, roll it.

I could barely close the lid when this stuff was "folded" (and doesn't stay folded once you start rooting around for something). Now look at it. Room to spare. You should seem my T shirt drawer...then again maybe you don't, too much info.
Roll your own.jpg

Did a tub for some time and would just fold things like the navy taught me and some things like the army taught me depending on what the clothing/situation dictated. But in recent years I’ve moved to an outside closet and have it all hanging as if it’s in a closet. Muuuch better than the totes thus far.

Yup that’s how I do mine. Have the super biggage Plano. Coldest gear goes on the bottom, warmer on the top. Hats, gloves, socks, etc go on the end

I do it like that too. Started doing it for packing suitcases but realized it does a much better job or keeping wrinkles out and being organized so I started doing it in my dresser too, and ultimately my huntings totes. It still gets disorganized by the end of a hunt but I pretty much re-roll and organize my totes before I head to the cabin.

I’m usually pretty disorganized during the year but I have a couple bins I keep the clothes I’m currently using in for easy access. For the rest of my clothes and out of season I got some of the cheap vacuum seal bags from Amazon that save a ton of space.

Been doing this for a while now for clothes that dont get worn often or will be put away till the next season, or for a trip. Keeps things organized much better.

Many years ago when traveling I started to 'ranger roll' my T-shirt/socks/boxers, to make living out of a suitcase a bit easier. It was so convenient I kept doing so when I got home. When I put up clothes for the season I usually vac-pack them, either rolled or folded as I was taught in Basic.

Back