• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Double Bull for rainy windy day

Autumnrider

It supposed to be rainy and 20 mph winds and I'm really wanting to hunt some new and lots of deer sign including huge paws and rubs located in 20 foot pine plantation. Vision is good but trees are to small to handle that high wind.
Planning on putting the double bull on my Rambo cart and pull it with my Rambo bike and pop the blind up about 70 to 100 yards from the fresh sign.

My question is......
Has any of my saddle brothers had any experience with this situation and if you have tried this?

My experience with ground blinds is Deer are highly suspect to them and often spook and blow at them. The good news is they usually spend enough time trying to figure out what it is you get a shot opportunity. That’s great if the first deer to come in is the one you want to shoot. If you can set it up and leave it long enough to become part of the landscape they are great. Brushing them in helps especially with rambling bucks during the rut. If it’s in a deers core area that they would notice you cutting three limbs to make a shooting lane they will definitely notice the blind. If it’s the only way you can hunt the area go for it. Worst case scenario the first deer spots it and stomps and blows while the other deer skirt the area. Best case, well just do it and let us know.

Blinds definitely have their place, but they have a lot of downsides. Expensive, heavy, bulky, fiddly, noisy, smelly, and deer-spooky.

Carry it in and out and deer will know it's new. Let it sit out to get them used to it and it will blow away, get squashed by a falling limb, or dry rot.

But on a drizzly 15mph-wind-kinda-day like I'm sitting through now, it's hard not to think about a snug, brushed-in blind with a thermos of coffee.

Did not get to try my ground blind idea. Woke up this morning and I have a wife that is still sick for her 2nd day. Hanging out with her.
Tomorrow, if she's better, no blind needed, I'm going to hang on a pine at ground level with my Hybrid

This is why I'm anxious to get in those pines.
There is 5 areas like these 2 and many more freshly worked paws and ni e size trees torn up. I think there is more than one buck here.
c103e6c12057fc26bab7fff584961c35.jpg
ab5d5f1451f733f064c33862e5c9d160.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have used my Double Bull blind for deer using my bow. Brush it in good and you shouldn't have a problem. I've taken deer out of the blind on rainy days. I have the T5 and I use shoot through camo mesh on the shooting ports deer don't like the black holes. I also use fixed blade broadheads . Just break up the out line of the blind.

This is why I'm anxious to get in those pines.
There is 5 areas like these 2 and many more freshly worked paws and ni e size trees torn up. I think there is more than one buck here.
c103e6c12057fc26bab7fff584961c35.jpg
ab5d5f1451f733f064c33862e5c9d160.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Definitely worth spending a little time there. I'm not much of a blind guy, my Dad is and likes his, but I don't think he sees many deer from his. I definitely think it's unnatural to the deer so they mostly avoid it.

Back