• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

double prusik bridge: any reason to keep double fisherman's knots away from prusik?

raisins

SH Member
Not to pick on DB4x4, but this is for my own use. Here

on post 22, you'll see the double fisherman's knots across the girth hitch on the bridge loops.

I am considering doing something similar BUT instead of the girth hitch behind that loop knot, I'd do a full prusik. This would basically mimic a Cruzr amsteel bridge but using climbing rope (oplux for bridge, trc for double prusik).

I know climbers say to keep that double fisherman's away from your prusik, but I'm thinking they say that perhaps because they want to slide their prusik easily and if the prusik slips they'll end up going down a vertical rope. The situation on a bridge is different (won't need to adjust all the time and if the hitch slips then you still stay on your bridge loops).

Thoughts on this? My main concern is safety (keeping the thing from coming apart which would cause a fall).

I have my bridge tied with something similar now, but I have the double fisherman's on the TRC loop in the traditional spot (on the free piece of rope in between the prusik on the oplux and the prusik on the bridge, see pic) which lengthens the whole thing.

IMG_5467.jpg

I know this is sort of an old thread but I just found it.
Funny I found it now because today I just received a 'new to me' saddle that has this exact thing going on...

I ain't worried about any safety issue with it, I'm just not a big fan of the big blob that it makes right there..

Screenshot_20210614-221037_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210614-221631_Gallery.jpg

Not to pick on DB4x4, but this is for my own use. Here

on post 22, you'll see the double fisherman's knots across the girth hitch on the bridge loops.

I am considering doing something similar BUT instead of the girth hitch behind that loop knot, I'd do a full prusik. This would basically mimic a Cruzr amsteel bridge but using climbing rope (oplux for bridge, trc for double prusik).

I know climbers say to keep that double fisherman's away from your prusik, but I'm thinking they say that perhaps because they want to slide their prusik easily and if the prusik slips they'll end up going down a vertical rope. The situation on a bridge is different (won't need to adjust all the time and if the hitch slips then you still stay on your bridge loops).

Thoughts on this? My main concern is safety (keeping the thing from coming apart which would cause a fall).

I have my bridge tied with something similar now, but I have the double fisherman's on the TRC loop in the traditional spot (on the free piece of rope in between the prusik on the oplux and the prusik on the bridge, see pic) which lengthens the whole thing.

View attachment 34993

Should be ok! It's more the fact that once you hit your stopper knot (at the bottom of your rope), it would be a b***h to re-ascend, if necessary.

I'm refining this: https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/knotless-adjustable-bridge-design.38248/ , which is somewhat similar, but "knotless" and only has one adjustable side.

Back