• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Drey...should l go standard or mini?

HuumanCreed

SH Member
Simple question. Thinking about finally getting another saddle. My Recon is not going anywhere. But l want to try something new. So simple question, should l go standard size or the mini?

If your looking to nap or really get a lot of support full size. Otherwise I much prefer my mini ( have both)

If your looking to nap or really get a lot of support full size. Otherwise I much prefer my mini ( have both)

Mini - it has plenty of coverage, without the extra bulk of excess fabric.

I dont really nap, but I would like to get a lot of support on my back. Like almost below armpit. The Recon has good support for lower back but there are times that I wish for higher support. Can the Mini go as high as armpit area while still have room to support legs when sitting?

I checked out their website last night. They're making very nice, practical stuff imo. I use a Recon mostly, but bought a full size Drey at the end of last year to try. I'll be practicing soon with it......the bridge seems longer than I like but everything else is how I imagined. I like the option of doubling the fabric on the full size. They weigh practically nothing. Had I not already had an EWO battle belt, I'd have gone with one of their harnesses.

I just ordered the full size. I don’t mind the extra material/weight but do think I’ll enjoy the extra support especially for those early mornings when it’s still an hour plus before first light. I also really liked the look of it for shooting, supporting all the way into the armpit. Plus the larger bag sounds like I can get a lineman’s belt and tether setup in there. For me the benefits of the larger hammock seems greater than the drawbacks, but I’ve yet to get it and test it out.

The full size definitely shines when you've got down time. Try picking your feet up and hanging sideways to the tree, so say your hip would be to the tree rather than your frontside, and pull it up into full cacoon mode with head support

I dont really nap, but I would like to get a lot of support on my back. Like almost below armpit. The Recon has good support for lower back but there are times that I wish for higher support. Can the Mini go as high as armpit area while still have room to support legs when sitting?

@HuumanCreed - if you want to span mid-thigh to armpits, you should get the full size drey. The mini’s not going to do that for you.

Pictures should be incoming soon. I'll preface with that ground level I'm skipping the leg straps i always wear when i climb and I wouldn't say I'll be running my prefed knots per say but hopefully you'll get a better idea of the two saddles/hammocks. I'd say I'm just under 5'8"

I have the full size and I love the fact that material pulls up the armpit, it really seems to provide more stability. Also if you firearm hunt out of the full size you can put your front arm on the inside of the material and create a very solid rest for the rifle on the material (kind of hard to explain but it is very stable). That said I might get the mini for quick hunts.

I'm no model but lady horn takes ok pictures lol. I didn't realize how darn hot it is today!

First pick is a full size on left, mini on right in the pouches they come with. I was surprised how much coverage i got outta the mini! The full size is under the mini on my belt too! Admittedly I tried to put as little under my butt as possible. Then various pics, my some with the full size. Finish in the cacoon mode, pretty comfortable to kill time, not the best for hunting, obviously

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 83
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 82
  • image000002.jpg
    image000002.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 82
  • image000003.jpg
    image000003.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 80
  • image000004.jpg
    image000004.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 81
  • image000005.jpg
    image000005.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 81
  • image000006.jpg
    image000006.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 74
  • image000007.jpg
    image000007.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 76
  • image000008.jpg
    image000008.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 77
  • image000009.jpg
    image000009.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 74
First pick is a full size on left, mini on right in the pouches they come with. I was surprised how much coverage i got outta the mini! The full size is under the mini on my belt too! Admittedly I tried to put as little under my butt as possible. Then various pics, my some with the full size. Finish in the cacoon mode, pretty comfortable to kill time, not the best for hunting, obviously

Thanks for the photos man! Gives me a better idea of the coverage between the two.

I like full size in my opinion offers more adjustment possibilities.

Any thoughts on the new webbing bridge?

I'd say it's a bit of a mixed bag. I have rope/cordage on the fullsize and webbing on the mini.

My biggest complaint on the rope/cordage is the amsteel knot for adjusting the length, I just don't like that style. It locks up super tight, maybe because I'm 210- maybe 220? It's definitely workable and maybe I just haven't found " the spot" yet.

The webbing bridge is definitely easier to adjust but I haven't played with it enough to say I can one hand it, but I like that I'm not fighting that knot/hitch.

I find either style is fine running through a biner if you're rotating. The full size you'll probably run out of bridge and hit the hammock, at which point you'll need to rotate yourself within the hammock. I'm not sure if that's a plus or minus, I'd think most people would be in walk around the tree territory by the time that happens.

I've noticed is that the webbing for the back support isn't as firm as the cordage style. It's more comfortable on my back but less solid. On the other hand that cordage feels more solid and supportive on the rope style bridge, but it feels like a small rope running across your back. Maybe late season I'd have enough layering not to notice that as much? Also the cordage is easier to adjust but I find I run out of adjustment, like the rope could be a little shorter.

Hopefully that is what you're looking for, if not I'll try to clarify

Back