• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Drop leg dump pouch

VaBruiser

SH Member
Random thought, but has anyone used a drop leg dump pouch before? I’m just not a fan of having stuff on my saddle and have been trying different methods of carrying my ropes and pruner. Thinking about trying a drop leg to see if that works a little better for me, but wanted some insight if anyone has it.

I have not, but I would assume if there is anything that has any weight to it that it would swing too much with the motion of your legs and be really annoying. Perhaps if the pouch was secured at the top and bottom it would work better, like a drop leg holster. I know the latitude pouch has a loop at the bottom you could use to tie the bottom on.

If you haven't tried suspenders yet, give them a try. They made a big difference for me and I actually moved more gear out of my backpack and into my pouches on my saddle.

Random thought, but has anyone used a drop leg dump pouch before? I’m just not a fan of having stuff on my saddle and have been trying different methods of carrying my ropes and pruner. Thinking about trying a drop leg to see if that works a little better for me, but wanted some insight if anyone has it.

Haven't tried a drop leg but, if you wear a pack another option is to attach them to your packs waist belt. The pack supports the weight and they stay on the pack when you take it off. I can't stand stuff on my saddle either.

I tried a roll pouch and didn’t like how heavy it made my saddle. I bought this which holds 40’ of 9mm rope, tri link, and safeguard though it’s tight. Small pocket holds amsteel daisy chain, Genesis 3D folding bow holder, and my backup SMC Escape 8 and hollowblock. I have my saw in a pouch attached with molle on the side of it. I replaced the metal clips with soft shackles.

Last edited:
I tried a roll pouch and didn’t like how heavy it made my saddle. I bought this which holds 40’ of 9mm rope, tri link, and safeguard though it’s tight. Small pocket holds amsteel daisy changing, Genesis 3D folding bow holder, and my backup SMC Escape 8 and hollowblock. I have my saw in a pouch attached with molle on the side of it. I replaced the metal clips with soft shackles.

Where do you have it attached? or do you just sling it then hang it when you're up?

I have not, but I would assume if there is anything that has any weight to it that it would swing too much with the motion of your legs and be really annoying. Perhaps if the pouch was secured at the top and bottom it would work better, like a drop leg holster. I know the latitude pouch has a loop at the bottom you could use to tie the bottom on.

If you haven't tried suspenders yet, give them a try. They made a big difference for me and I actually moved more gear out of my backpack and into my pouches on my saddle.

Yeah I'm hearing a lot of folks talk about how suspenders really do make for a over all better set up. I think I will. But that's not the primary reason I want the pouches off my saddle. I just seem to rub the damn thing a lot, in one way or another.

Where do you have it attached? or do you just sling it then hang it when you're up?

Haven’t hunted with it yet, but I’ve been practicing with it on the shoulder strap, seems to work well. Hang it from the gear strap at height. I’ve also attached two TX5 buckles to the molle on the back and to my saddle if I do decide to hang it on my right hip.

Hanging (mostly) stationary at height, or climbing, it might be very handy. As long as it doesn't get caught on anything, while climbing, and the thigh straps don't restrict your movement. However - hiking / walking / running / etc. with dump pouches is a pain. The weight is in the wrong place for your legs to move it efficiently. Similar effect to having a few pounds of mud on your boots and walking without knocking it off, or splitting a 6-pack between the pockets of your cargo pants. People do it, and every few years there's a new Kickstarter or whatever (Summit Equipment Mountain Pack, Jaxpack (sp), etc.). In addition to the awkward weight distribution, thigh rigs tend to catch on everything - branches, doorjambs, car doors, etc.

I've seen something like this geared for motorcyclists, which makes sense because the seating position can make getting stuff out of your pockets a pain, and you're largely sedentary on a bike. Similar situation to hanging in a saddle.

Which is not to dissuade you from experimenting with this. You buy what you want with your money. It will be less uncomfortable if it's more on your hip than your thigh; the closer to your knee the worse walking with it will be. Might be worth picking up some cargo pants, if you don't already have some, and playing with the concept.

Running with your saddle on? Is that a bear or bigfoot scenario of sort? :wink:
I was talking about thigh rigs in general. No, we're probably not running across the countryside in our saddles - if you are, you hunt very differently than I do.

Just buy or use 6 pocket bdu pants.
Cabelas has them in probably evey cammo or color known to man.
i tried this and the stuff in the leg pockets drove me absolute bat **** lol.

When I was in the army, I purchased these dropleg rigs that were nothing but molle loops, I would use them to attach whatever gear I wanted to each leg. I did it because I didn’t like having things on my vest. I liked getting as low as possible in the prone and not sticking up like turd. Also, when reloading my M4 in prone, I didn’t have to roll on my side to get the mags off my vest, they just sat on my hip ready to go.

remind you this was also in 2005-2006, they didn’t have all the lower profile pouches that they do today so I don’t know if anyone makes them Anymore.

Just buy or use 6 pocket bdu pants.
Cabelas has them in probably evey cammo or color known to man.
i tried this and the stuff in the leg pockets drove me absolute bat **** lol.
I was waiting to see if anyone said this^^^!! No doubt my pants are cargo style! Especially since a saddle basically replaces your back pockets with some kind of pouch. My pouch’s contents are pretty much spoken for already. I’m also a smoker, so cigs in right pocket with small pruners and my phone in left side pocket. I clip my pocket knife to that left side pocket too……..I always want to have ez access to it.

When I was in the army, I purchased these dropleg rigs that were nothing but molle loops, I would use them to attach whatever gear I wanted to each leg. I did it because I didn’t like having things on my vest. I liked getting as low as possible in the prone and not sticking up like turd. Also, when reloading my M4 in prone, I didn’t have to roll on my side to get the mags off my vest, they just sat on my hip ready to go.

remind you this was also in 2005-2006, they didn’t have all the lower profile pouches that they do today so I don’t know if anyone makes them Anymore.
Thanks for your service @ketch22 !

Back