• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dryad Killdeer and Drey question

mattpsu1

SH Member
I did a little hybrid hunting last year with a LWCG .5 and my regular Cruzr saddle. No issues but only had a few medium length sits. I’ve been contemplating the Dryad Killdeer with premium straps and the Mini Drey. Some questions are, how is the Killdeer with the upgraded straps for one sticking? And I plan on trying some 2TC this year as well so same question would apply. How is overall comfort with the Mini Drey compared to a traditional saddle? First year in Cruzr last year and really liking it. Just looking for something not as bulky for when I hybrid hunt and or if I were doing more of a mobile short sit with with Pursuit platform or one sticking with my Wingman, which I really like as well? In all likelihood I will end up purchasing and use it as another tool from time to time. Just wanted a little input from you fellas that have or do use them. Thanks in advance.
Matt

I did a little hybrid hunting last year with a LWCG .5 and my regular Cruzr saddle. No issues but only had a few medium length sits. I’ve been contemplating the Dryad Killdeer with premium straps and the Mini Drey. Some questions are, how is the Killdeer with the upgraded straps for one sticking? And I plan on trying some 2TC this year as well so same question would apply. How is overall comfort with the Mini Drey compared to a traditional saddle? First year in Cruzr last year and really liking it. Just looking for something not as bulky for when I hybrid hunt and or if I were doing more of a mobile short sit with with Pursuit platform or one sticking with my Wingman, which I really like as well? In all likelihood I will end up purchasing and use it as another tool from time to time. Just wanted a little input from you fellas that have or do use them. Thanks in advance.
Matt
Have you consider just getting the Mini and retro kit? You can simply add it to your CRUZR. The killdeer is horrible to one stick on. I don't think the premium straps would make it better. Its doable, but it is ALOT more comfortable with your Cruzr.

It probably makes a difference depending on your weight. I personally have no issues while climbing or descending, but I wouldn't want only the harness for an extended period! I weigh about 155lb.

Have you consider just getting the Mini and retro kit? You can simply add it to your CRUZR. The killdeer is horrible to one stick on. I don't think the premium straps would make it better. Its doable, but it is ALOT more comfortable with your Cruzr.
Hadn’t thought about that. I like my Cruzr and it’s plenty comfortable at least to me. Would that make it even more comfortable for all day sits? I was mostly thinking about the Killdeer for replacing harness when hunting preset hang ons and adding the Drey for hybrids. I use sticks some, I one stick some, and was planning on trying 2TC and even possibly the Sladder. I know, I’m all over the place. Am I doing this right? lol.

Different harnesses fit differently shaped people. Rock climbing harnesses with belay loop tend to be more comfortable than fixed singular attachment harnesses as they spread the load between waist belt and legs more evenly. Sure the hanging belays are not ideal with RCH but the hangs while onestick climbing are so short I wouldn't put much weight on the comfort. Same with 2TC.

I wouldn't buy a harness without hanging on one at a shop though, what is comfortable to one can be unbearable to next.

"Comfortable" and "acceptable" are at different points on the comfort scale.
I’m probably not much heavier than you, maybe 165. Personally, I prefer comfort over acceptable. Unless it’s a short couple hour sit and then I can make do. Otherwise I’m just moving around too much.

Different harnesses fit differently shaped people. Rock climbing harnesses with belay loop tend to be more comfortable than fixed singular attachment harnesses as they spread the load between waist belt and legs more evenly. Sure the hanging belays are not ideal with RCH but the hangs while onestick climbing are so short I wouldn't put much weight on the comfort. Same with 2TC.

I wouldn't buy a harness without hanging on one at a shop though, what is comfortable to one can be unbearable to next.
I hear ya. I do have a regular basic RCH that I use when hanging cams or clearing some limbs and stuff but it doesn’t have the lineman’s loops and I don’t know I’d wanna try one sticking with it but could be a starting point

I’m probably not much heavier than you, maybe 165. Personally, I prefer comfort over acceptable. Unless it’s a short couple hour sit and then I can make do. Otherwise I’m just moving around too much.
I'm talking about the Killdeer by itself, obviously when paired with the Drey/Mini-Drey it's WAAAY more comfortable.

I'm talking about the Killdeer by itself, obviously when paired with the Drey/Mini-Drey it's WAAAY more comfortable.
Kind of where I’m at is that unless it’s just awful for one sticking, which I don’t think it would be for the short time, I think it can fill a need for me. I don’t one stick as often as I used to since I got the Tethrd Ones, but I do use my Wingman for one sticking also. So, you’re liking the comfort with the Drey? I’m liking the idea that I can use the Killdeer as a regular safety harness for hang ons and adding the Drey for my hybrid sits or minimalist mobile trips. Thanks

Kind of where I’m at is that unless it’s just awful for one sticking, which I don’t think it would be for the short time, I think it can fill a need for me. I don’t one stick as often as I used to since I got the Tethrd Ones, but I do use my Wingman for one sticking also. So, you’re liking the comfort with the Drey? I’m liking the idea that I can use the Killdeer as a regular safety harness for hang ons and adding the Drey for my hybrid sits or minimalist mobile trips. Thanks
You can use your CRUZR as a regular safety harness too. Just my take, I use the full Drey and the Mini. The full is more comfortable by itself but is horrible as a hybrid, just too much material to switch from saddle mode to sitting mode. Try it, use a small bed sheet as a hammock (which is what the Drey honesty is) while on your hang on, its not very manageable.

I mean, how much more weight is the CRUZR compared to a killdeer? a pound?

BUT the Mini is perfect for a hybrid system and it is more comfortable than the CRUZR IMHO.

I'm not a fan of the killdeer obviously. Especially if you are one sticking or 2TC. But for a safety harness it is the lightest option.

I hear ya. I do have a regular basic RCH that I use when hanging cams or clearing some limbs and stuff but it doesn’t have the lineman’s loops and I don’t know I’d wanna try one sticking with it but could be a starting point
You can attach the linemans belt to the belay loop/tie in point of the harness. I'd go as far as use both sides of the waist belt tie in point and leave the belay loop less cluttered for whatever device you use for the tether. It's not ideal but gets the job done.

I don't think they do the retro kit with the mini. The new mini does not attach to the harness.
You just slink it over your shoulder and hook the waist belt.

You can use your CRUZR as a regular safety harness too. Just my take, I use the full Drey and the Mini. The full is more comfortable by itself but is horrible as a hybrid, just too much material to switch from saddle mode to sitting mode. Try it, use a small bed sheet as a hammock (which is what the Drey honesty is) while on your hang on, its not very manageable.

I mean, how much more weight is the CRUZR compared to a killdeer? a pound?

BUT the Mini is perfect for a hybrid system and it is more comfortable than the CRUZR IMHO.

I'm not a fan of the killdeer obviously. Especially if you are one sticking or 2TC. But for a safety harness it is the lightest option.
Thanks, I did use the Cruzr last year as a hybrid. The pound doesn’t bother me, just a little bulky and I don’t wear it in, which I may try a few times to see if I like it, just gets rolled up in my pack and takes up space until I get to tree. Have mostly been using a Badlands Tenet which is a good size and would like to downsize for some hunts

I run the Killdeer/Mini as my UL minimalist/early season setup. I still prefer the Cruzr XC as my extended-sit "full comfort" option!
I still would mostly use my Cruzr when I’ll be one sticking with my Wingman. Want another option for when I’ll be doing hybrid with my .5 or when I’m hunting out of a preset hang on. And thought it might work well for minimalist with regular one stick or 2TC and Pursuit platform or ROS

I used that exact setup last season with tree stands and the predator platform. I 1stick and attempted a few 2TC with the harness (still learning this method) - didn't hurt with the upgraded leg straps. However, if wearing it in I highly recommend getting the enforcers (or making your own) as they do slip down without them. The mini has been 100% comfortable for me in both hot and cold weather, including all day sits - go with an Adam's apple to nose height tether for best comfort. For reference I am 5'8" and over 200 with all my gear on, no comfort issues.

I used that exact setup last season with tree stands and the predator platform. I 1stick and attempted a few 2TC with the harness (still learning this method) - didn't hurt with the upgraded leg straps. However, if wearing it in I highly recommend getting the enforcers (or making your own) as they do slip down without them. The mini has been 100% comfortable for me in both hot and cold weather, including all day sits - go with an Adam's apple to nose height tether for best comfort. For reference I am 5'8" and over 200 with all my gear on, no comfort issues.
How does the size run? It says 28-32 is small then 34-38 medium. I usually wear a 31 or 32 waist.

How does the size run? It says 28-32 is small then 34-38 medium. I usually wear a 31 or 32 waist.
I got the medium. I wear with very light pants in FL and the same size Med with cold weather pants and coats up north in November. My waist is a 32-33 and i wear 34 jeans with a ccw for reference in size. The Med has planty of adjustment for me.

Back