• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dump or roll pouches on your saddle?

Shapeshifter

SH Member
I had been thinking about buying a roll pouch for this next upcoming season. I used one of old tethrd dump pouches last season and it worked just fine. A little cumbersome but not a big deal. The more I think about it though the more I'm tempted just to get rid of all the pouches on my saddle and just store everything in my pack including rappel rope and safeguard. I would still keep my lineman’s rope girthhitched to my saddle though. I think it might be nice to run my saddle bare without all that extra weight on my hips. I was wondering how many of you guys like to run your saddles completely bare and if you have any pros and cons? Let me know what you guys think?

Only thing on my saddle is lineman's. That said I am using a frame pack. If I was only hunting private or close to a vehicle, I would either add pouches or more likely use a fanny pack.
That's pretty close to what I'm leaning towards. I will probably use a small daypack to carry everything else, including my 1stick.

I have rotated through all the options. I would prefer nothing on my saddle too, and keeping everything in my pack was nice. However, I want to be sure I have everything in reach if I need something in an emergency while climbing/rappelling. So I decided the weight on my saddle was worth it. My hikes are typically a mile or less, so it isn't bad. Plus when I get to the tree I want, I can start climbing immediately without taking my pack off.

Currently, I use a roll pouch and a drop pouch on my saddle and use suspenders to help with the weight.

I carry everything on/in my pack (aka turkey vest). I personally really don't like pouches on my saddle for a couple of reasons.

The first is that I wear my saddle in and I have trouble keeping the saddle up on my waist if it's carrying a lot of weight. I would need suspenders to keep it from working its way to my knees while walking if I had loaded pouches on it. Secondly, I don't like the additional protrusion on my backside while in the tree. If I need to turn around on my platform to get a shot while hunting the pouch can rub against the tree when turning. Its just one more thing to have to think about in the heat of the moment. For me its just easier to carry stuff in my pack.

Everything I need to climb, rappel, SRT ascend and self-rescue (except my climbing stick) is attached to my saddle or in a cargo pocket. I decided this was necessary several years ago after I rappelled down in the middle of a hunt, leaving my stick and pack hanging 20'+ up in the tree. When I prepared to SRT back up to my platform, I realized my hand ascender was in my pack. Dump pouches are gold.

Last edited:
Really digging the sewn pouch on your saddle.
I have rotated through all the options. I would prefer nothing on my saddle too, and keeping everything in my pack was nice. However, I want to be sure I have everything in reach if I need something in an emergency while climbing/rappelling. So I decided the weight on my saddle was worth it. My hikes are typically a mile or less, so it isn't bad. Plus when I get to the tree I want, I can start climbing immediately without taking my pack off.

Currently, I use a roll pouch and a drop pouch on my saddle and use suspenders to help with the weight.
The weight really doesn't bother me on my walk in, it's usually on the walk out after having been in the saddle for 6 hrs that I can really feel the weight pulling on my hips as I'm walking out.

I carry everything on/in my pack (aka turkey vest). I personally really don't like pouches on my saddle for a couple of reasons.

The first is that I wear my saddle in and I have trouble keeping the saddle up on my waist if it's carrying a lot of weight. I would need suspenders to keep it from working its way to my knees while walking if I had loaded pouches on it. Secondly, I don't like the additional protrusion on my backside while in the tree. If I need to turn around on my platform to get a shot while hunting the pouch can rub against the tree when turning. Its just one more thing to have to think about in the heat of the moment. For me its just easier to carry stuff in my pack.
That's a great consideration also. Not having to think about your pouches rubbing on the tree as you turn for those weekside shots. Definitely a plus.

The weight really doesn't bother me on my walk in, it's usually on the walk out after having been in the saddle for 6 hrs that I can really feel the weight pulling on my hips as I'm walking out.

try a removable pouch for the best of both worlds then. TX5 pouches use buckles to clip on/off. wear them in, climb and get down with it on, then move it to your pack for the walk out.

I run a pouch for tree prep and that’s it. To much dangling off of you is going to do nothing but emphasize and little movement. If I were to run pouches I would do what it appears @tailgunner has going on and make them fit tight to your body. I ran pouches my first year and didn’t really see any advantage over leaving everything in my pack. I clip my lineman’s on the left hoop and I clip my figure 8 and 2 beaners on my right hoop just in case of a climbing emergency. Then at height I take it all off and put it in a side pouch on my pack where it’s easily accessible should i need it while at height

I can run full speed in my gear.hurtling blow down without missing a step or loosing a peice of gear.2lbs.with both tethers in their holsters is light enough i wear an elastic waist belt.cumffy like b ball shorts.makes it one organized unit nothing to forget.ring of steps goes on my fanny pack.ring is 1 1/2 lbs.if i grab my saddle every thing is there.just like my fanny pack .Screenshot_20230125_201740_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Back