• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dynamic tethers tested

Horn

SH Member
Mar 8, 2022
Well, I have finally come around on YouTube a bit. I do like howNOT2, and today he put out a video testing dynamic and static cows' tails, or PAS or tether depending on who your talking too.

Spoiler: fall factor 2 is bad, just don't get in that situation if you can at all help it.

Probably the only safety related post I'm ever likely to make. I have bought from Extremegear.org and was happy with it, if you'd like some dynamic rope by the foot but are unsure of that site. I'm not affiliated or anything

neonomad

SH Member
Sep 4, 2019
I shifted to dynamic rope when I started one-sticking, and now use it for all of my saddle setups, even when not one-sticking. Much safer, IMO.
The point of the video, I think, is they don’t help much. I run a screamer, would like to see more vids on those.

Reactions: raisins and gcr0003

Spartan

Dec 2, 2021
The point of the video, I think, is they don’t help much. I run a screamer, would like to see more vids on those.

In the video, depending on which tests, they had 5-7kn using dynamic vs. 10-13kn using semi-static vs. 13-14kn using the static. Those are post-fall scenarios of you driving to see your doctor because of a hurt back vs. an ambulance taking you to the ER vs. an ambulance taking you to the morgue.

That was my takeaway, and why I choose dynamic rope.

Well, that takeaway and also to avoid the fall factor of 2!!

Horn

SH Member
Mar 8, 2022
I didn't double check but most of that was with a 300 pound weight. I know we've got some heavier members but I bet the vast majority of us are significantly lighter, and would expect lower forces in a fall. Assuming Jenkie is right about backs breaking at around 7kN those numbers are still far to close for comfort

Fl Canopy Stalker

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Feb 4, 2021
The “screamer” produced higher forces than the semi static or dynamic in the short drop and it completely broke in the long drop. Hence screamers don’t actually help reduce forces on our end, they reduce force on the anchor points.

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
My takeways were 1. Don't climb above your tie in point (slack). 2. Avoid a factor 2 fall. 3. If you have a 2 factor fall and weight 300 pounds you are done, if you weight 200 pounds you had a very bad day or are done., and 4, you might be slightly less mangled if you have a factor 2 fall on dynamic vs static line. And last but not least, I'm glad I weight 150 pounds.

Spartan

Dec 2, 2021
Also, the dynamic stuff costs the same and is only slightly bulkier.

There's a possible upside to it without any significant downside.

^^^^ That. 100%

And my dynamic really isn't any bulkier. They measure a true 8.9mm and 9.0mm depending on which flavor I'm using. Same as the 9mm HTP static I had been using, and still use for a lineman belt.

neonomad

SH Member
Sep 4, 2019
In the video, depending on which tests, they had 5-7kn using dynamic vs. 10-13kn using semi-static vs. 13-14kn using the static. Those are post-fall scenarios of you driving to see your doctor because of a hurt back vs. an ambulance taking you to the ER vs. an ambulance taking you to the morgue.

That was my takeaway, and why I choose dynamic rope.

Well, that takeaway and also to avoid the fall factor of 2!!
Ah you’re right, was listening in the background while working and just got a little spooked by all forces involved, but indeed dynamic is better. Also better to weigh sub 200 lbs!

Fl Canopy Stalker

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Feb 4, 2021
Ah you’re right, was listening in the background while working and just got a little spooked by all forces involved, but indeed dynamic is better. Also better to weigh sub 200 lbs!
Yes sir. I wish there was a magical cure all for fall force but the truth is the only way to limit force is to stay below our connection and limit our fall distances.

Horn

SH Member
Mar 8, 2022
I don't mean to keep plugging extreme gear but the cowtails/tethers are only 12-15$ for 9 feet. Free shipping starts at $50. Lots of goodies, shouldn't be hard for us gear junkies to rack up that tab :sweatsmile:

• Haha
Reactions: BTaylor