• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dyneema Webbing

IkemanTX

I haven’t seen much mention of using Dyneema webbing for DIY projects, so I figured I’d start it off.
I picked up 25’ of “Venom” from “Ripstop by the roll”. It is UHMWPE, which is the same “Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene” that is labeled as dyneema or amsteel in their respective trademark uses. the only downside I see is it is jet black, maybe if we give them enough business, we can get it in a green or tan.

This stuff is only 2.2 grams per foot, with an 1800lb break strength for the 1” webbing. That makes it 76% lighter than standard 1” polyester webbing. It is UV stabilized, webbing knot friendly, and is starting to be used heavily in the hammock world.

I am using this order for a CAYG aider for my hawk helium sticks. Here is what I have mocked up for a 2-step version. I’ll let y’all know how the project goes in a few weeks when I get it sewn up and I get back from my anniversary trip with the wife.

edebab2fc3a2d4276db4becb0ccd4a92.jpg

Here is the link... heads up, there’s only 54 units in stock as of me posting this... I assume the “Saddle Hunter Effect” will take place.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

Standard tubular webbing is rated at 4000 pond breaking strength or 18 kilonewtons. Are you sure about the 1800 pounds you quoted?

Standard tubular webbing is rated at 4000 pond breaking strength or 18 kilonewtons. Are you sure about the 1800 pounds you quoted?

from there website
65464bd17d7ff4ac05367edce9d8c82c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, it is a reduction in strength, but it is also a 76% reduction weight.
Honestly, I think they most likely under rated it for liability/safety purposes because it is an in-house product. This stuff is strong as heck, and 25 feet feels like absolutely nothing in your hand.

Yep, it is a reduction in strength, but it is also a 76% reduction weight.
Honestly, I think they most likely under rated it for liability/safety purposes because it is an in-house product. This stuff is strong as heck, and 25 feet feels like absolutely nothing in your hand.
I later checked out their website and the standard polyester webbing is rated at 1800 pounds. Their Dyneema webbing is higher but I forget what is was.

Following. I've been wanting to do this same thing. What are you using for the step?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Traditional webbings, ratings listed by a major supplier.

Flat Nylon
3,000lb break weight

Lightweight Polypropylene
900lb break weight

Heavyweight Polypropylene
900lb break weight

Flat Polyester
3,800lb break weight (2,700lb max working load)

Patterned Polyester
3,800lb break weight (1,250lb max working load)

UHMWPE ultralight webbing
1800lbs listed

UHMWPE pack webbing
2,700lbs (at the 3/4” version, 1” not listed)

I would think that if we could get camo colored 1” UHMWPE pack webbing, that would be the ticket. In the meantime, I’m okay with an 1,800 breaking strength holding my 155lb butt.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

Last edited:
Back