• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Eagle's Flight quiver question

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Am I not installing this right?
I have a velcro strap-on style and for the life of me I can't understand why they don't flip the velcro over so the soft side is against the bow finish, but more importantly the soft side would be the exposed side when the strap is wrapped. The way they have it, the quiver is placed on the limb, and the strap wraps around the limb, then thru the plastic slide, and then velcro sticks back onto the strap. It's nice and tight, but there's about 3" or 4" of strap with the hook side of the velcro exposed which is NOT ghillie friendly for sure. Not to mention a little noisy if certain fabrics come in contact. I'm tempted to disassemble it and flip the velcro but they have adhesive involved.
What an I missing with how they attach the velcro straps?

What kind of bow is yours on? Can you share photos? This is how I have mine routed through the buckle.View attachment 92647View attachment 92648View attachment 92649View attachment 92650
Yours looks exactly like mine...the rough side of the velcro is exposed.
I was hunting with a ghillie today and the stands of the coat were constantly getting "grabbed" by the velcro and I was having to pull it back off (noise and also effecting raising the bow) to the point that some strands are beginning to frey.
It just made me wonder why EFA doesn't just flip the velcro so the hook side isn't exposed. Seems so obvious to me that I thought maybe I was somehow attaching it wrong. But I can't see any way to possibly wrap the strap in any other way.
I was going to rip off the velcro and flip it but the strap is riveted on so I can't correct it.
I cut a small piece of ace bandage and it sticks to the velcro very well. I guess that's the fix as far as I can tell.
I really like the quiver... except for that. Seems almost too obvious that the strap should be flipped to the point that I wondered if I had it on wrong. But it seems impossible to put it on any other way. Great quiver but a very questionable aspect of it.
Can't attach pics because the files are too large. I wish SH would change that, too.

Yours looks exactly like mine...the rough side of the velcro is exposed.
I was hunting with a ghillie today and the stands of the coat were constantly getting "grabbed" by the velcro and I was having to pull it back off (noise and also effecting raising the bow) to the point that some strands are beginning to frey.
It just made me wonder why EFA doesn't just flip the velcro so the hook side isn't exposed. Seems so obvious to me that I thought maybe I was somehow attaching it wrong. But I can't see any way to possibly wrap the strap in any other way.
I was going to rip off the velcro and flip it but the strap is riveted on so I can't correct it.
I cut a small piece of ace bandage and it sticks to the velcro very well. I guess that's the fix as far as I can tell.
I really like the quiver... except for that. Seems almost too obvious that the strap should be flipped to the point that I wondered if I had it on wrong. But it seems impossible to put it on any other way. Great quiver but a very questionable aspect of it.
Can't attach pics because the files are too large. I wish SH would change that, too.
I think I accidentally put mine on wrong like that before too. You need to take a picture and show us, if I had to bet it probably is something simple like that.

Here ya go.
I'm hoping that you can make me feel like an idiot but I've puzzled over this thing so many times. Over and over, put it on and take it off thinking I would see something I'm doing wrong but it escapes me. My wife is a bit smarter than I am and she can't see any other way to wrap the strap.
This was just a very minor observation until I began wearing my ghillie and was repeatedly pulling the strands off the velcro of the quiver strap, which will surely end up happening when I try to raise the bow on the buck of a lifetime (ain't that the way it usually goes?) LOL

quiver 1.jpgquiver 2.jpg

It's pouring rain today and my ghillie was hanging outside so it's soaking wet, but here is a quick look at what I'm talking about. The velcro is like a magnet to the cords. If they make the slightest contact, they stick to each other. When I raise the bow, whatever cords are in contact with the velcro lift that part of the coat along with the bow. I can envision that it will probably lead to a clearance issue for my bow string.
quiver 3.jpg

So far, this is the best remedy that I've found. An old piece of worn out ace bandage sticks to the velcro pretty good but I have not put it thru any real world use. The bandage looks like crap on there but my goal isn't ascetics, my goal is to have my gear buttoned-up as much as possible.
Just seems to me that EFA just needs to flip the strap when they assemble them. Problem solved??
quiver 4.jpg

This pic shows me that there is no way to have the soft side of the velcro on the exposed side...on my quiver the way it was built. The section of the strap that is under the nut, and wraps around the "L" shaped bracket, is rough side out. It's not only glued to the L bracket, it's also riveted to it...no way to flip it over without me doing a major mod. The tag end of the strap that's shown in the pic is the section that sticks to the velcro on the L bracket...which, by default, exposes the rough side of the tag-end strap when fully installed.
I'll ask again...Am I missing something obvious? Did I get a mistake from EFA? Someone not paying attention when the assembled it?

quiver 5.jpg

This gives me the chills, not the quiver, but put some slippers on man! Mine are both like that and I had a roll of velcro that size and just cut off a piece and stuck on. The rolls I am talking about are available at Walmart in the fabric section.

This gives me the chills, not the quiver, but put some slippers on man! Mine are both like that and I had a roll of velcro that size and just cut off a piece and stuck on. The rolls I am talking about are available at Walmart in the fabric section.
You are lucky that they aren't in focus! You'd have nightmares.
I have some one-sided velcro like you are talking about. I tried it and it will improve it. But during my search for the best fix, I tried the ace bandage and I think I actually like it a little more than the one sided velcro that I have. The bandage sticks just as well as the velcro but seems to be a little quieter if anything rubs across it. No telling at this point if the bandage will hold up as well as an extra velcro piece.
This is just one of those things that annoy me. Why assemble something in a way that doesn't save anything in the way of cost but it certainly effects performance. I still think that EFA must have a reason why they do it this way but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is.

Just a thought...if it really bothers you, can you possibly return it? If so, check out Thunderhorn Mfg. You'll be looking for their Boa quiver if you want to attach it in the same fashion as the one you have-but no velcro. They use rubber straps that hold tight & no risk to the bow's finish. They're more expen$ive, but worth it, IMO.

There is nothing wrong with that quiver it’s just installed backwards lol when I get home I’ll try to show you

There is nothing wrong with that quiver it’s just installed backwards lol when I get home I’ll try to show you
Please do.
I can flip this thing any which way but the velcro ain't gonna change how it's on there from EFA. I'm hoping that I'm just being stupid but like I said in post #9...the velcro is permanently attached to the L bracket with glue and a rivet, with the rough side "out". I must be a dope if there's a way it can somehow conceal that side of the velcro.

Please do.
I can flip this thing any which way but the velcro ain't gonna change how it's on there from EFA. I'm hoping that I'm just being stupid but like I said in post #9...the velcro is permanently attached to the L bracket with glue and a rivet, with the rough side "out". I must be a dope if there's a way it can somehow conceal that side of the velcro.

@gcr0003 has peaked my interest. I have been using EFA quivers for years and all of mine are attached the same way as yours. I’m guessing they put the rough side out for two reasons. One because it wears better. The soft side would get dirty/damaged more easily I would think. And two because no one has ever complained about it. It’s mildly annoying when the Velcro picks up fuzz from my wool lined bow case but I can’t say I have ever had the Velcro impact my hunt in any way. Although, I do see how it could cause an issue with a ghillie suit.

@gcr0003 has peaked my interest. I have been using EFA quivers for years and all of mine are attached the same way as yours. I’m guessing they put the rough side out for two reasons. One because it wears better. The soft side would get dirty/damaged more easily I would think. And two because no one has ever complained about it. It’s mildly annoying when the Velcro picks up fuzz from my wool lined bow case but I can’t say I have ever had the Velcro impact my hunt in any way. Although, I do see how it could cause an issue with a ghillie suit.
Sorry i was wrong and can’t help. I retract my previous statement after looking at his photos. Jumped to conclusions.

I tried putting a bunch of my wife’s garments against it to stick to it and didn’t have much success. It is really low Velcro I’m surprised he’s having so much trouble with it. Maybe sell it and get a big Jim. No Velcro on in. I like his quiver just as much if not more.

This pic shows me that there is no way to have the soft side of the velcro on the exposed side...on my quiver the way it was built. The section of the strap that is under the nut, and wraps around the "L" shaped bracket, is rough side out. It's not only glued to the L bracket, it's also riveted to it...no way to flip it over without me doing a major mod. The tag end of the strap that's shown in the pic is the section that sticks to the velcro on the L bracket...which, by default, exposes the rough side of the tag-end strap when fully installed.
I'll ask again...Am I missing something obvious? Did I get a mistake from EFA? Someone not paying attention when the assembled it?

View attachment 92681
Why are you not sticking that tag end down in this picture? Or is your gilly suit lifting it somehow?

Sorry i was wrong and can’t help. I retract my previous statement after looking at his photos. Jumped to conclusions.

I tried putting a bunch of my wife’s garments against it to stick to it and didn’t have much success. It is really low Velcro I’m surprised he’s having so much trouble with it. Maybe sell it and get a big Jim. No Velcro on in. I like his quiver just as much if not more.
I started the thread with a suspicion that it was just me doing something wrong. Not that it is a major problem, but it was something that just doesn't seem to make sense to place the straps that way during manufacture. I really thought one of you guys would straighten me out and show me how I was installing it wrong. But at the same time these posts have come, I've been messing with it enough to come to the undeniable conclusion that the straps are as they appear to be...backwards as far as I'm concerned.

Saying that I've "having so much trouble with it" is a little bit of an overstatement. It was always a little puzzling to me why they did it that way but just a minor annoyance. When I'd pick it up off my truck seat it was a little stuck on the seat fabric, not bad but just enough to notice.
But the thing that got me was when I was stump shooting and ground hunting yesterday with my ghillie on. THAT'S where I started realizing that it was one piece of my gear that wasn't buttoned-up. Ghillie cords continuously getting attached to the velcro. Could that effect my hunt? You bet it could. Extra movement to undo it, noise, string clearance, distraction from concentration, could all happen, and most of us have dealt with Murphy's law from time to time. I say on this forum repeatedly...a successful hunt is the product of attention to details. Sometimes it's a tiny, seemingly insignificant detail that screws the pooch. I'm not a great hunter or a great shot. So I need to address the things that are within my control...little details. Sometimes it works out for me.
I appreciate the input and suggestions.
Thanks guys.

Why are you not sticking that tag end down in this picture? Or is your gilly suit lifting it somehow?
No, I do stick the tag-end down as firmly as it can be done. I just pulled it away slightly for the photo to show the aspects of the 2 sided velcro and how it orients...backward IMO.

The rough velcro is a perfect place to keep wind check stuff. I live in cotton farming country, and cotton is about ready to pick by bow season, so I pick a bud on the way in and rub it into the velcro to peel out strands to check the wind.

I reckon the suburban hunters and northern or western folk could use a cotton ball just the same.

Might be a way to fix your issues and gain a little utility at the same time. They are good quivers, and the folks that make em are friendly folks. Might be worth calling them to ask if they have any input on a solution.

It's never been a problem for me as my "ghillie suit" is a little different, an ASAT Vanish suit. But mannnnnn I can sure she how that would be really aggravating. Hope you come up with an easy workaround.

The rough velcro is a perfect place to keep wind check stuff. I live in cotton farming country, and cotton is about ready to pick by bow season, so I pick a bud on the way in and rub it into the velcro to peel out strands to check the wind.

I reckon the suburban hunters and northern or western folk could use a cotton ball just the same.

Might be a way to fix your issues and gain a little utility at the same time. They are good quivers, and the folks that make em are friendly folks. Might be worth calling them to ask if they have any input on a solution.

It's never been a problem for me as my "ghillie suit" is a little different, an ASAT Vanish suit. But mannnnnn I can sure she how that would be really aggravating. Hope you come up with an easy workaround.
We use milkweed for wind indicators. I've tested it against cotton balls and the milkweed is lighter and floats better than cotton balls. Not sure how milkweed compares to raw cotton right off the plant.
But I digress.
Wax is a great idea. I had a scrap of similar velcro and I rubbed some bow string wax in it and it really helps. I also tried coating it with Fletchtite glue and that works pretty well too. Looks like I have a few options right now to fix this.
Thanks for the suggestion.

FIXED.
I took the exposed rough section of the velcro and I placed it on my table belt sander. Lightly pushed don on it with a 2x4 block for a few seconds. The "grabby" velcro hooks are gone. Good riddance :)
The wax suggestion from @grayskwerel worked well and so did Fletchtite but I didn't know how permanent they would be.
The belt sander made a permanent solution.
Time to hit the woods.

Back