• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

EDELRID Mega Jul - Anyone using one?

I run Oplux and tried the Giga J20201002_022343.jpg20201002_022522.jpg20201002_022804.jpgul and couldn't get it to not creep, I've since switched to the Grivel Mono Master Pro and love it.i know its not the Mega Jul you inquired of but thought I'd at least give you a little advice.

Attachments

• 20201002_022648.jpg
    20201002_022648.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 15
I tried the Giga Jul and could not get it to lock up on any rope I tried. I returned it and bought the Mega Jul. It locks up if your rope is thick enough but seems to be finicky with rope sizes and carabiner types. Based on my experience, I would not trust it to lock on the rope 100%. Like I said, finicky. I use a few mechanical belay devices and would trust the Safeguard and Lifeguard and GriGri and maybe the Beal Birdie. I haven't used the Birdie enough to be sure but it never slipped over the few times I used it. The Trango Cinch slowly slipped a bit on one rope I tried but I have not used it much. If I had limited funds I would pay the $56 for the Birdie over the $40 for the Mega Jul every time.
Edit: I should clarify. The Mega and Giga Juls would work fine with an autoblock. I just meant with no other assistance to hold you still on the rope.

Last edited:
Thats the beauty of the Grivel, DanO has them for $23 on his website. It has worked flawlessly for me on the Oplux, with a autoblock.. it is a tubular ATC so it will not let ya go hands free w/o autoblock.

[mention]Aquesnot [/mention] what is the advantage of the Grivel master mono pro over a regular (double line capable) ATC other than less weight and smaller profile?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[mention]Aquesnot [/mention] what is the advantage of the Grivel master mono pro over a regular (double line capable) ATC other than less weight and smaller profile?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I found running the Oplux rappel rope that it just ran more smoothly and better braking than a twin ATC..

Without being able to lock the tubers, this seems like a bad idea, too easy for them to release, and if your hand isn’t on brake strand when it does......

Back