• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Exercises that help 2TC/rappelling/1 sticking

Exhumis

SH Member
I detest gyms but my wife has a membership, the gym has a hot tub and it’s mostly empty in the morning so I’m out of excuses.
I happened upon this modern torture device that I absolutely love and has helped immensely with saddlehunting. It’s called a rope trainer or rope pull. It’s just a continuous loop of rope that passes through a resistance flywheel that you pull either up or down. Exercises can be done sitting down and standing up. I do both sitting and standing to simulate 1 sticking up, holding, arresting and rappelling down. I have found this to help immensely both in my endurance and pulling strength. I dunno if you cats go to the gym and if you do if your gym has one but if it does try it out.
What other exercises have you folks found to build strength and endurance for climbing and rappelling?
26F5D604-2385-4223-888A-43A34A07649C.png

Oh, I've never seen one of those. I bet that would be helpful. I do general weight training and I do a lot of flexibility exercises in addition to a good bit of walking. I think lunges help for leg strength but don't overdo things. I got a little too enthusiastic about running last July and hurt my knee tendon to the point I could not walk for about a week. It is still a little twingy at times.

I’m a gym a rat and have been for almost 20 yrs now. It does so much for me just mentally not to speak about physically

Stretching - very key (pre and post workout)

Cardio - of any type. I don’t like treadmills so I shoot basketball find a way to make it fun

If I had to pick one that I believe has helped a lot is weighted box step ups. Basically grab some dumbbells and step up on a box. Height will depend on many factors but I like 20-30”

Very similar to 2TC

Box steps are good. I used to love running til I served. Now I hate it. For my cardio I hit the stairclimber. Another item they have at this gym is a weighted sled. It’s got wheels on it and you load it up with weights and push/pull it around. I bet that would simulate dragging a deer just fine. If you don’t hear from me again that’s cuz I had a heart attack trying it out.
3DD26A2C-C92B-4D99-A2E4-DCD23D25A9AC.jpeg

I’m a gym a rat and have been for almost 20 yrs now. It does so much for me just mentally not to speak about physically

Stretching - very key (pre and post workout)

Cardio - of any type. I don’t like treadmills so I shoot basketball find a way to make it fun

If I had to pick one that I believe has helped a lot is weighted box step ups. Basically grab some dumbbells and step up on a box. Height will depend on many factors but I like 20-30”

Very similar to 2TC

yeah

i can speed walk for an hour outside and enjoy it

but put me on a treadmill and I get stir crazy

After 5 minutes I’m staring at the timer and tv or music doesn’t help

I used to like the Cascade climber a gym I went to had, but I finally quit paying for gym memberships and put together my own gym. I find lot of TRX strap exercises to be a very beneficial, full body type training that makes efficient use of my time

yeah

i can speed walk for an hour outside and enjoy it

but put me on a treadmill and I get stir crazy

After 5 minutes I’m staring at the timer and tv or music doesn’t help
This is exactly me. I typically get 10 to 15k steps a day at work but decided on Feb 1 I needed to do something to elevate the heart rate so started the 12/3/30 treadmill program that’s all the rage. It’s torture. Not because of program but rather the being stuck on a hamster wheel for 30 minutes.

Sometimes I can zone out on a podcast and run a 5k, but sometimes I'd rather just bust some tunes and smash out a circuit of higher intensity exercises like a lead sled or cart like the one @Exhumis shows above, tractor tire flips, box jumps, 2 minutes hard on row machine, burpees--I just keep going for a set time or until I can't go any more

Honestly, just walk the steps in your home 2 at a time. If you can’t do that because of step height or injury, do lunges with each step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I detest gyms but my wife has a membership, the gym has a hot tub and it’s mostly empty in the morning so I’m out of excuses.
I happened upon this modern torture device that I absolutely love and has helped immensely with saddlehunting. It’s called a rope trainer or rope pull. It’s just a continuous loop of rope that passes through a resistance flywheel that you pull either up or down. Exercises can be done sitting down and standing up. I do both sitting and standing to simulate 1 sticking up, holding, arresting and rappelling down. I have found this to help immensely both in my endurance and pulling strength. I dunno if you cats go to the gym and if you do if your gym has one but if it does try it out.
What other exercises have you folks found to build strength and endurance for climbing and rappelling?
View attachment 81280
That's a cool machine. Would like to try that out. I agree with and do many of the things already posted, squats, lunges, box step up and box jumps. Weighted box step ups and lunges are probably the most directly related to one stick or 2TC. I think rowing has a fair bit of application too and use that machine on a regular basis. The one I hate the most is the stairmonster. I much prefer to run up and down stairs or load a pack up and do stair repeats.

Can't really see the need to train specifically, just practice my routine a little right before season.
Used to frequent the gym a lot but seems now like I was always nursing some nagging injury between that and sports. Sure I looked better and sports kept my cardio up, but I don't think I was objectively very much stronger or more flexible, if at all.

Now it's pretty much:
Carry my kids around
Walk the dog daily
Hike and scout a lot
Do redneck stuff like split wood and other phyiscal yard work often
Cut way back on the 12/16/24 oz curls. Once I could really put them away with seemingly little consequence but once I hit about 32 or 33, man, they really started to hit differently.

(But in all seriousness you may have more luck looking for rock climbing workouts- they will likely be more forearm/hand grip strength intensive than we need but a lot of the other elements seem to transfer over from my limited exposure)

Oh, I've never seen one of those. I bet that would be helpful. I do general weight training and I do a lot of flexibility exercises in addition to a good bit of walking. I think lunges help for leg strength but don't overdo things. I got a little too enthusiastic about running last July and hurt my knee tendon to the point I could not walk for about a week. It is still a little twingy at times.
I think lunges are a great exercise. Add a couple of dumbbells with them and it can get pretty intense. I also like to do squats to really get those leg muscles going. If you can do them with some weights great but even body weight squats help.

Funny reading this thread. I’m a truck driver and use to deliver batteries. Well I would walk a lot through out the day. And my coworker and I would joke about going and grabbing food at the end of the day. Conversation would go like this.
man I’m hungry and there’s a Wendy’s 500 yards away. That’s to far to walk. Hunting season starts and it’s “ Hey let’s got tromp through the woods looking for hogs”. 6 miles later we’re back at the trucks saying that was fun.

Back