• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Explain how you rappel from a tree? I don't understand.

Tedd

Beginner here. Kestrel should arrive next week. Read a lot about climbing but don't know what I'll use.
I keep hearing about rappelling from the tree? Can someone explain please? Do you use a double length rope from your hanging position to the ground? and then pull it down when you hit the ground? What do you wrap the rope around if you don't have a limb? Are you letting the rope in the tree when done? Seems like that big pile of rope would be heavy?
Thanks for your input.
TD

30-40' of static or canyon rope is a little bulky, but depending on your climbing method, its worth its weight in some cases

Tie one end of your rope with a figure 8 on a bight. Attach screw-lock to bight allowing you to girth hitch quickly without running entire length of rope through bight. girth hitch it just like you do your tether...no limb necessary, but you can use them if available.....you just have to learn how to place your knots so it doesn't get stuck on retrieval

Then drop the other end of your rope to the ground

then I use about a 40' piece of paracord that I hook one end up to the screw lock....then I hook the other end of the paracord to my weapon and lower it.

then you rappel down using various contraptions. once down and everything unhooked from my rappel rope, I can pull down on the paracord line and it pulls the screwlock and top of my rappel rope down( as the bottom of the rope goes up and un-girth hitches itself)

30-40' of static or canyon rope is a little bulky, but depending on your climbing method, its worth its weight in some cases

Tie one end of your rope with a figure 8 on a bight. Attach screw-lock to bight allowing you to girth hitch quickly without running entire length of rope through bight. girth hitch it just like you do your tether...no limb necessary, but you can use them if available.....you just have to learn how to place your knots so it doesn't get stuck on retrieval

Then drop the other end of your rope to the ground

then I use about a 40' piece of paracord that I hook one end up to the screw lock....then I hook the other end of the paracord to my weapon and lower it.

then you rappel down using various contraptions. once down and everything unhooked from my rappel rope, I can pull down on the paracord line and it pulls the screwlock and top of my rappel rope down( as the bottom of the rope goes up and un-girth hitches itself)
Pretty cool!

I do just as sb220 does with the rope. Figure 8 on a bight, screw lock (or if you just want to try it out from 10’ up use a carabiner) and at least 9mm rope.

I use an atc with an autoblock tied behind it as a brake. Check out this video:

I just have the one rope in the atc and not two, but the idea is the exact same. I like the carabiner on my autoblock clipped on the actual leg strap so there’s no chance the autoblock gets caught in the atc and it keeps constant down pressure on the rope in the atc keeping you stopped. Really cheap setup to rappel, really easy and very safe in my opinion.

If you’re really nervous about rappelling, use a Prusik with a dog bone or a draw above the atc. It’s a lot slower. You’ll have to continuously move it as you go down, but there’s no chance of a free fall from user error. Really safe way to practice if you’re less confident.

Hope that helps buddy.

I do just as sb220 does with the rope. Figure 8 on a bight, screw lock (or if you just want to try it out from 10’ up use a carabiner) and at least 9mm rope.

I use an atc with an autoblock tied behind it as a brake. Check out this video:

I just have the one rope in the atc and not two, but the idea is the exact same. I like the carabiner on my autoblock clipped on the actual leg strap so there’s no chance the autoblock gets caught in the atc and it keeps constant down pressure on the rope in the atc keeping you stopped. Really cheap setup to rappel, really easy and very safe in my opinion.

If you’re really nervous about rappelling, use a Prusik with a dog bone or a draw above the atc. It’s a lot slower. You’ll have to continuously move it as you go down, but there’s no chance of a free fall from user error. Really safe way to practice if you’re less confident.

Hope that helps buddy.
It looks real simple - I want to try it.

I used paracord to pull down at the beginning of the season but got hung up a few times and ended up breaking my retrieval line. I went to a local climbing store and got some 5 mm cord that doesn't stretch at all and haven't had any problems since. I use a Madrock lifeguard to rappel. Pretty handy device that locks off so I can retrieve my platform or steps.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Another option is to extend your rappel device on a sewn sling like in this video. She is rapelling off 2 lines but it will work the same with 1 line, & back it up with an autoblock/prussic.

I used paracord to pull down at the beginning of the season but got hung up a few times and ended up breaking my retrieval line. I went to a local climbing store and got some 5 mm cord that doesn't stretch at all and haven't had any problems since. I use a Madrock lifeguard to rappel. Pretty handy device that locks off so I can retrieve my platform or steps.

I was having the same problem with rope retrieval. I changed the location I had my retrieval rope attached. Instead of having the rope attached to the delta link I moved it to the figure 8 and haven’t had an issue since.

I was having the same problem with rope retrieval. I changed the location I had my retrieval rope attached. Instead of having the rope attached to the delta link I moved it to the figure 8 and haven’t had an issue since.
I am confused about the talk of figure 8. I don't have one tied on mine. But I ordered my rope with a sewn eye splice and that goes on the link. I still attach my retrieval rope to the link. Haven't had any issues since going to the 5mm cord.

I am confused about the talk of figure 8. I don't have one tied on mine. But I ordered my rope with a sewn eye splice and that goes on the link. I still attach my retrieval rope to the link. Haven't had any issues since going to the 5mm cord.

That’s a sharp setup. I wish I’d have thought to do an eye splice in my rope. If I had, I’d attach to the eye splice instead of the link. It’ll provide more leverage to pull the rope down.

Only reason I’d try it is to be able to carry paracord instead of 5mm cord. Not a big difference between the two, just another option.

Thats exactly what I've got in my setup, I got 60' of 9mm Sterling HTP from Treestuff.com, with a sewn eye in it, threw on a screw link and you're good to go.

I use a grigri for my rappelling and RADS/SRT stuff, I tried the lifeguard but didn't like it because it felt a little jerky on the rappel and the grigri was nice and smooth. I also carrry an old ATC style belay device as a backup, and I have used it a few times, when I leave my grigri in the truck, or want to rappel with a double rope. Big thing on autoblock is to make sure it doesn't get caught in your device. With the grigri, I do the double loop trick that Petzel recommends for the only way to safely tie off a grigri.

9c6d6e5bb671cc4aae761b28d69b5d34.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180208/252b7926d9d73d8e9ec2259ef744b70d.jpg[/IMG
Mad Rock Lifeguard and 30 feet of Samson Predator.

Just thought of this, make sure you're locking off that device properly, I don't know about the lifeguard but you might want to look into it, something similar to what I posted about the Grigri will probably be a good starting point. You could always just wrap it around your leg a few times, I've done that before with my ATC style belay device.

Also, that 5mm cord is pricey, I just found 100' for 47, I typically use 60'-70' for one tree, that's nuts, I think I will continue to deal with the stretch of 550 cord, I've got a lot of trees ready to go.

Just thought of this, make sure you're locking off that device properly, I don't know about the lifeguard but you might want to look into it, something similar to what I posted about the Grigri will probably be a good starting point. You could always just wrap it around your leg a few times, I've done that before with my ATC style belay device.
I believe it is designed to be "self-locking". I intended on rigging an autoblock but I haven't. When I stop to take down my steps and platform I have been taking my rappel rope and running it under my big backside, tying a figure 8 around my bridge, and have entertained hooking that to the cabiner on my lifeguard.

I believe it is designed to be "self-locking". I intended on rigging an autoblock but I haven't. When I stop to take down my steps and platform I have been taking my rappel rope and running it under my big backside, tying a figure 8 around my bridge, and have entertained hooking that to the cabiner on my lifeguard.

Again I can't speak for the lifeguard but with the grigri, you always need your hand on braking rope or keep it tied off, and it's also important to hold it fingers down, so it won't just slip out of your hand when you start sliding.

As long as you've got a way to tie it off you should be good, but it might be a good idea to see what "Lifeguard" recommends. Also, I have an extra carabiner that I keep on my left leg loop on my harness to put that loop into, so I know it's not going anywhere.

Just want to make sure you're safe and it looks like you're thinking about it which is always good!

Again I can't speak for the lifeguard but with the grigri, you always need your hand on braking rope or keep it tied off, and it's also important to hold it fingers down, so it won't just slip out of your hand when you start sliding.

As long as you've got a way to tie it off you should be good, but it might be a good idea to see what "Lifeguard" recommends. Also, I have an extra carabiner that I keep on my left leg loop on my harness to put that loop into, so I know it's not going anywhere.

Just want to make sure you're safe and it looks like you're thinking about it which is always good!
I do my best. I will check with Madrock. And I plan on getting up an autoblock for next season. I try to always have it tied off or have my hand on the rope. I have become pretty comfortable with my system but I am trying to be extra cautious because I feel like that's when mistakes can happen.

This thread caught my eye. As a newer guy with only one season in a saddle using climbing sticks to go up and down, I think you all need to do some videos. The videos you shared are helpful but it’d be cool to see an actual saddle hunter setup and rappel down. Also explain the terms you use that are foreign to new people who haven’t had the experience with hands on the gear you use. Just my thought. Maybe a video has been done and I haven’t seen it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats exactly what I've got in my setup, I got 60' of 9mm Sterling HTP from Treestuff.com, with a sewn eye in it, threw on a screw link and you're good to go.
I tried the lifeguard but didn't like it because it felt a little jerky on the rappel and the grigri was nice and smooth. I also carrry an old ATC style belay device as a backup, and I have used it a few times, when I leave my grigri in the truck, or want to rappel with a double rope. Big thing on autoblock is to make sure it doesn't get caught in your device. With the grigri, I do the double loop trick that Petzel recommends for the only way to safely tie off a grigri.

I use a grigri for my rappelling and RADS/SRT stuff, Here's a good video explaining RADs www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb5MYVnY8Nk&t=62s

I bought a lifeguard www.campsaver.com/mad-rock-lifeguard-belay-device.html . It got great write ups as a belay device and wanted to use it for RADs and rapelling. I practiced with it low to the ground. I stood on the ground and was tied in above. I simulating falling off my platform by sitting down fast and the lifeguard didn't always engage and catch me. Sometimes it let my butt go all the way to the ground. No bueno! If I fell off my platform at height would I go all the way down?

The lifeguard worked great if I took time to set it but not automatically so I won't use it for life support (I will keep it for another purpose where it isn't life support). I'm back to my grigri or petzl rig.

Last edited:
This thread caught my eye. As a newer guy with only one season in a saddle using climbing sticks to go up and down, I think you all need to do some videos. The videos you shared are helpful but it’d be cool to see an actual saddle hunter setup and rappel down. Also explain the terms you use that are foreign to new people who haven’t had the experience with hands on the gear you use. Just my thought. Maybe a video has been done and I haven’t seen it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, if I had a good camera and mount I would do something, I'll try and see if I can get one with my phone tomorrow, got permission to hunt in the morning, so I'll try it.

Back