• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Eye splice ?

Mag1

Ok, got my rope from rwrope, it’s a 1/2” polyester double braid p, 6000lb rated rope. Fairly easy to splice. This was my first attempt. I do think I have something incorrect as it seems like the core pulled back into about 1/2 of the eye. If I understand it correctly, the core should run through the entire eye and back into the main line? Is there any way to work an eye back apart? If not, I’ll just use that end as a stopper, and splice the other end. Thanks for any input/comments

Ok, got my rope from rwrope, it’s a 1/2” polyester double braid p, 6000lb rated rope. Fairly easy to splice. This was my first attempt. I do think I have something incorrect as it seems like the core pulled back into about 1/2 of the eye. If I understand it correctly, the core should run through the entire eye and back into the main line? Is there any way to work an eye back apart? If not, I’ll just use that end as a stopper, and splice the other end. Thanks for any input/comments
You are correct the core runs through the entire eye and back into the main line.
Could you post a pic? If done properly and the core pulls back half way through the eye...the eye would no longer be.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding...what instructions did you follow?

I got it pulled back out, I watched the youtube video from new england ropes (the blue rope one.) I may have missed something, I was in the living room while the family was watching something on TV and was probably distracted. Will redo during lunch with "NO Distractions" :) I watched a couple of other video's, and I am thinking there was one step I missed, or I allowed the core to pull out without noticing what was happening.

Back