• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fall Force

justsomedude

Just another safety granny thread....

We make a lot of disclaimers here about how "we should never have the impact of a real climbing fall" when talking about using thinner ropes, or Ropeman for instance.

BUT
If you are climbing above your tether as in doing One Stick Climbing or One Aider Climb, you better understand this.

In the One Stick video we have all seen, there is a point where he sets the tether at head height and then climbs back down to raise the stick. Then he climbs back up the stick and ABOVE his tether. There is a TON of slack on his tether and he isn't even using a Linesman's belt.
When I have done this technique, I use a Ropeman and take the slack out as I climb back up.
There is a point where you have to add slack to your tether to move it up but it should only be about 2'-3'of slack and you aren't above the tether...it should be waist-chest high.

Even in the beginning, he sets the tether up. Then he climbs up to the top of the stick before raising the tether. The rope is a good 4' long and he is standing at least 3' above the tether.
That fall will HURT YOU. Especially if you are on static rope. And if you are using a Ropeman 1 on skinny rope.....yikes

The friction and the little bit of sliding that the tether will have before it grabs will save you from some impact force. But not enough to keep you out of the hospital. A Linesman's belt would also slow down your fall.

In addition to ending up in the hospital from taking a high force fall, there is a very high probability that your attachment point to the tether point will fail. This video is more for a rock climbing anchor scenario, but it shows some of the forces (and failures ) of the slings . These slings are all rated for at least 20+kn & some fail.Stay safe don't climb above your tether .
I'm not sure how to embed the youtube video.

Yes climbing this way would be a candidate for a DYNAMIC rope they are designed to provide less shock in the case of a fall. Still gonna hurt but way less. I have taken a fall from only 3-4 feet in a class 3 harness while doing pick off rescue training on static rope and it is NOT fun when the slack comes outta that rope

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Dynamic rope will lessen the impact but a true factor 2 fall , even on dynamic rope is gonna be a S.O.B ...

Its always good to post these reminders. I have thought about that when doing the 1 stick but probably under estimated the force. Good Post!!!

Back