• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Favorite knot

noxninja

One of the things that I have noticed since I began my saddle hunting lifestyle is the fact that I have started to learn skills that I had previously not been interested in. One of those has been learning to tie different types of knots. While I don't have extensive knowledge I continue learn. One of my favorites yet simple has been learning how to tie a prusik knot. Another simple yet seemingly for one reason or other difficult for me to grasp is the water knot. I know I am a simpleton... and it doesn't take much to make me happy!

What is your favorite knot?

If you want a great resource for knots, hitches and anything rope related a great book to pick up is "The Ashley Book of Knots".

http://www.animatedknots.com/ is a great resource for knots, too. Based off of the Ashley book.
+1 for animated knots

favorite knot? hmm... blake's hitch, bowline, munter hitch, double fishermen's, distel, VT, klemheist, pussik, clove hitch, timber hitch, figure 8s, butterfly, water knot, sheet bend...those count as one right?

I especially like fiction hitches cause their just cool AF.

Friction is a awesome thing, put enough wraps on a port-a-wrap and you can hold a tree up with one hand...alright fishing knots now...

I might have an addiction.

My favorite is the alpine butterfly, Such a useful knot for climbing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use the alpine butterfly to create a loop close to my prusik|ropeman / carabiner on my "tag" end as my backup hook in for each tree I climb (different diameters). Very easy to tie and I can take it apart and re tie very easily. I do this so there is minimum length between my biner and my backup hook in. Any extra rope gets daisy chained if there is enough to warrant that.

I just started doing that. I always felt unease with there being a long distance from my backup to my connection point.

I use the alpine butterfly to create a loop close to my prusik|ropeman / carabiner on my "tag" end as my backup hook in for each tree I climb (different diameters). Very easy to tie and I can take it apart and re tie very easily. I do this so there is minimum length between my biner and my backup hook in. Any extra rope gets daisy chained if there is enough to warrant that.

I just started doing that. I always felt unease with there being a long distance from my backup to my connection point.
I used to tie the Alpine butterfly with the twist method then I found this method where you wrap it around your hand. Much easier for me to tie. I didn’t know this way till I saw the video below.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2aRj8dQPRQ&index=19&list=PLE2VEO0scwKuAXkqdfbmm5IpBgWMQwIRB
BB49DBEC-0ABE-4EA3-9C6A-5B7687A9DCFF.png 564927B9-5AA6-403E-8240-AD7FCEF784EF.png 440F6E9A-9FCD-4A47-A5C9-580D8B879F4B.png

I like figure 8 on a bite a stopper knot a bowline and water knot a prusik and Blake's hitch.

You cant beat an Alpine butterfly. Easy to tie and inspect. Never had an issue with one!

Back