• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fiberglass patch re-work

BTaylor

SH Member
I have a waterscamp that had a crack on the bottom side where the floor meets the pontoon part. It was repaired I have no idea how many years ago. Was looking at it the other day and the fiberglass patch is lifting pretty significantly. I have basically zero experience working with fiberglass so I am interested in y'alls thoughts on repairing it. Try to break off the old repair or go right over the top just grab a match?

Grind it off, grind the surrounding area back to fiberglass(remove gel coat/paint), then depending on the size of the hole build it back with cloth/mat, using a stack of slightly increasing sizes will help feather the edge in. For a 1 inch hole I'd like to end with a 6 inch circle, gives the layers plenty of surface area to bond with the hull. Then the next day, sand if you care what it looks like, if you break through the weave might need another layer to repair, followed by some more sanding, and then paint. It's also best if you're able to do this on both sides of the hull, but not always possible to get to the inside. Since you said crack I would grind it out past the edge of the crack a ways, round off the inner edge and fill the void with a thickened epoxy like totalboat thixo before doing the surface patches. (Also reccomend totalboat two part epoxies for the repair). Thixo is structural so theoretically doesn't need the surface fiberglass patch, but I like the belt and suspenders approach to marine repair

Wear a respirator while you're grinding/repairing, fiberglass is nasty stuff

I
I have a waterscamp that had a crack on the bottom side where the floor meets the pontoon part. It was repaired I have no idea how many years ago. Was looking at it the other day and the fiberglass patch is lifting pretty significantly. I have basically zero experience working with fiberglass so I am interested in y'alls thoughts on repairing it. Try to break off the old repair or go right over the top just grab a match?
I’d grind it off, smooth the area around where it’s lifting, clean it real good with denatured alcohol and lay new glass only this time use epoxy resin instead of poly resin…. It’ll be there for life as long as you keep it covered or painted so that the sun doesn’t get to it

I

I’d grind it off, smooth the area around where it’s lifting, clean it real good with denatured alcohol and lay new glass only this time use epoxy resin instead of poly resin…. It’ll be there for life as long as you keep it covered or painted so that the sun doesn’t get to it
Any recommendations on how to grind it off without making a bigger mess that I already have. This thing is thin and old as crap. Was thinking it might be better to use an orbital sander with some 40 or 60 grit rather than a grinder.

Any recommendations on how to grind it off without making a bigger mess that I already have. This thing is thin and old as crap. Was thinking it might be better to use an orbital sander with some 40 or 60 grit rather than a grinder.
Yes a sander will work. I’d go a little lighter on grit if it’s that bad. Perhaps something in the 120 to 240 grit range will be less aggressive. Besides you’re gonna need some super fine grit (800 or higher) to do the top coat with

Yes a sander will work. I’d go a little lighter on grit if it’s that bad. Perhaps something in the 120 to 240 grit range will be less aggressive. Besides you’re gonna need some super fine grit (800 or higher) to do the top coat with
Whoever did the original repair was not bashful with the patch. 240 grit would take a couple days to get back to actual surface lol.

Oh, what do you mean by "go right over the top just grab a match"?

Last edited:
I'm asking these questions because I have an idea for a very very simple yet very strong repair but really need to see the thing first.

Very limited experience with fiberglass... but if you drill a small hole at the very end of the crack you may be able to keep the crack from growing larger. And grinding anything is going to be a mess, wear a respirator (ideally full-face mask), long sleeves - preferably Tyvek overalls with a hood - put down a drop cloth, and have a shop vac ready. Fiberglass bits are hell on skin and eyes and sinus passages. A box fan with a furnace filter attached to the 'intake' grate will catch some airborne dust. This is absolutely within the realm of DIY jobs, but can be ambitious. Luckily there are a lot of fiberglass repair videos online, mostly car and motorcycle bodywork.

That should have had an "or" in there...over the top or just grab a match ;)
Any pictures yet? If its what I think you made it sound like I have some Meth to send you, because that'll do the trick for sure....

bebd74cd15330506c2fbf43ff9c4381e.jpg

Patch is loose at the near end. @Samcirrus @Fl Canopy Stalker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d cut
bebd74cd15330506c2fbf43ff9c4381e.jpg

Patch is loose at the near end. @Samcirrus @Fl Canopy Stalker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would cut that piece completely out and then layer up a couple new pieces over top of the hole. If you can get to it from the inside as well, you can fill the hole with epoxy filler or layer up the inside as well. Sand til smooth and it’ll be as good as new

I’d cut

I would cut that piece completely out and then layer up a couple new pieces over top of the hole. If you can get to it from the inside as well, you can fill the hole with epoxy filler or layer up the inside as well. Sand til smooth and it’ll be as good as new
Grind off the patch or cut a hole? The top side of that patched area is the floor of the boat. The flex seal idea above is sounding better all the time.

Back