• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Filling the freezer

HuskerInIowa

SH Member
Just got my first deer back from the locker and put into my freezer. It’s my first with a bow, first from a saddle, but as I was putting it away with my kids I realized it’s my first since I came back to hunting and as a dad with a family. It’s a really different kind of pride then the day I shot it. There are so many levels of why we all do this but I don’t think I’m in over my waders saying this feeling ranks pretty highly for a lot of us.
Quick side note for the butcher it at home, no need for a locker crowd. I come from an outdoors family so that would be my preference as well, my wife’s family is not. She is happy to have me hunting again and is willing to try, eats, and enjoys nearly everything I’ve brought home. We’re good with me doing fish, birds, and small game at home now, it’s an adjustment for her and I’m fine making what I consider a small compromise.

For the family and butchering at home, if they like certain cuts or styles of meat, tell and show them that you can make more of those cuts/styles for cheaper and make it a family event, especially with the kids. My kids aren't squeamish about me butchering but they love venison chili so I have the kids help me with the grinding, mixing (I go 50/50 with Jimmy Dean Sausage) and stuffing.

I mix my venison about 50/50 with the cheapest ground beef I can find, makes better burgers that way. You should think about learning to make brats, it’s a great way to use deer meat and they’re better than you can buy

Favorite story with my daughter was when she was about the same age or younger than yours @rhagenw

As I was packing, she asked what I was doing and replied that I was packing to go deer hunting. She asked what that was and I said that's where I go out and shoot a deer. She got really concerned and asked why I would ever shoot a deer. Thankfully, I thought fast and asked her where she thought jerky came from?

She thought for a minute, then ran downstairs, grabbed a cabelas catalog, ran back upstairs, flipped through the pages until she found a pink compound bow. She then pointed at it and said "Daddy, buy me this so I can shoot a deer.

She didn't realize that commercial jerky was beef until she was 10 and even at 17, she'll still sit in the kitchen and package venison while I'm processing.

Congratulations! That's why I hunt. For the thrill of being outdoors, sharing moments with family and friends and reminecing about the hunt (in my own mind) over a meal built with the game I was blessed with.

I am now married with a 6 month year old and can’t wait to cut up deer with him. I ran into an old girlfriend a few years back and she said some of her best memories of her younger years was cutting up deer with my family around the kitchen table. When someone in my family gets a deer, it’s a fun gathering to cut it up and put it in the freezer.

I used to mix my ground with beef but did a taste test with my wife a few years back. We mixed our ground with beef, some with a pork butt and some with straight pork fat I got from a farmer that is a customer of mine. We, and a few people in my family went hands down on the pork far but the pork butt was very close and we liked it more in casseroles.We haven’t mixed with beef since, although, my dad was the one person that liked the beef better and that is what he mixes with his deer.

with our ground we will make, mix and freeze a few things that seem to go quicker than others. We make a few types of meat balls, burgers pre mixed with a bunch of stuff and cheese and breakfast sausage. Trick is to freeze them separate and then vac seal or chamber seal.

also, if you are debating on a chamber sealer or need a new vacuum sealer really dig into a chamber sealer. Mine has paid for itself tenfold just with bags. It doesn’t happen often as we usually keep the freezer really organized, but I have lost meat in the freezer and found it two years later and it tastes as good as the day we put it in there.

I used to always go for rifle heart shots. My daughter's tried heart a couple years back and now get very upset when I heart shoot a deer. I have found myself over the past 5 or 6 deer, aiming at the heart and readjusting for a double lung shot. We eat venison 3-4 times a week.

It’s been part of my entire life and I am honored to do it for my family. We still buy chicken, beef and pork just to change it up. My 3 yr old loves the bologna and sausage. My wife really likes the bologna but could go either way with the rest of it but she still uses it a lot in her receipts.

I rarely butcher my own deer but at this point the small town butcher I go to we’ve become close through the years. I have 100% trust in his process

I hope my boy does the same in the future for his family and feels the reward of it all like I do

It’s been part of my entire life and I am honored to do it for my family. We still buy chicken, beef and pork just to change it up. My 3 yr old loves the bologna and sausage. My wife really likes the bologna but could go either way with the rest of it but she still uses it a lot in her receipts.

I rarely butcher my own deer but at this point the small town butcher I go to we’ve become close through the years. I have 100% trust in his process

I hope my boy does the same in the future for his family and feels the reward of it all like I do
I found a locker in a small town that does great work. Close to an hour drive for me each way and worth every mile so far. Reasonable prices, lot of variety in what they’ll do, and seem like good people. Took my kids to go pick up my first deer and they even have soft serve ice so I think the kids will be making the trip with me any time I ask!

I found a locker in a small town that does great work. Close to an hour drive for me each way and worth every mile so far. Reasonable prices, lot of variety in what they’ll do, and seem like good people. Took my kids to go pick up my first deer and they even have soft serve ice so I think the kids will be making the trip with me any time I ask!
If they dont want to go, I will. :)

Back