• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First hunt out of the saddle

muzzyman88

I'm not usually one to get all giddy or wound up quickly over something but this I wanted to share. I had some time yesterday afternoon to finally get my first sit of the year in out of the saddle. I have a heavily bedded area across the road from the house that I snuck into around 3PM. My gear is as follows. Cruzr XC saddle, EWO one stick with UP, canyon civ rope with madrock.

I snuck into a tree I picked a few weeks ago that was overlooking an active scrape where three old logging roads join. The tree was a "four pronger" and gave me plenty of cover. I only made two moves up the tree and was around 15-16ft but was tucked in nicely. I got situated, pulled the bow up with my repel rope and stuffed rest in the pack.

Thirty minutes later, I had a doe amble through out of range. Then about 10 minutes went by and another appeared in front of me, headed right at me. I thought for sure she was a smaller deer, so I didn't even bother picking up the bow. I simply slide to the side of the tree to keep it between me and her. I realized after a few minutes of watching her, that she was not that small, then another deer appeared, then a third. Two older does and small one. Then I had a button buck sneak in from behind me and walk to them. So... there I was, kind of pinned down and couldn't get to the bow which was on the other side of the tree... lol.

They left and I spent the rest of the afternoon relatively quite until almost dark when several more deer filtered through, out of range.

This saddle thing is really awesome. I really needed that long sit in the tree from the confidence side of things and getting comfortable with my system and setup. I spent a lot of time over the summer months climbing and repelling to gain that confidence and understanding of my gear. My whole hunt, from climb up to repel down went flawlessly. I learned a few things. I definitely need knee pads or a pad for the tree and I need a couple hanging solutions for my quiver and binos I think. I need also figure out where I like to hang my pack better so its out of the way, but easily accessible without a bunch of movement. I had it at 3 o'clock on the tree but felt like if I had to rotate to that side of the tree for a shot, it would be in the way. But other than that, I absolutely loved being in the saddle and felt very confident and comfortable in my setup.

Headed back out again this afternoon to do it again!

Last edited:
I usually hang my pack right in front of me at knee height where it doubles as a knee pad and is out of the way. I use my lineman’s rope to hang it off of after I’m tethered in.

Does your pack in front of you ever get in the way moving for a shot around the tree .. past two years I have put mine at 3:00 shoulder height with the things I might need on the outside pockets facing me .. having it in front definitely seems much more efficient

No I’ve never had it get in the way. I don’t like having any thing on the sides of the tree. Also keeping it low will still allow you to turn around and lean your back against the tree if you want.

Back