• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Lite and Saddle Hunting

K.D.P

SH Member
I’m looking at getting a new setup for next season. How many of you use First Lite in your saddle? If so what do you wear, bibs or pants? I’d like to know what your setup is. I’ve heard mixed reviews on the Catalyst Jacket and Bib setup.

no problem with sanctuary bibs and jacket in saddle

Ditto...what he said. I've been in temps of 20 degrees with a stiff north wind for 10 hours. I'd say I was warm/cool but no where uncomfortable. Even snoozed a couple of times.

what about warmer temps around 60 to 70?

I don't break out the heavy first lite till the temps go below 40 or the wind is rough. I wear the three base layers of first lite long johns and then the first light pants on top. Those base layers keep me warm in 35-45 degrees. Below 35 or if there is a stong wind and there is a significant wind chill then that's when I break out the bibs and jacket. Honestly, you won't have an issue using a saddle. I've used all of my go to camo from first lite and a saddle hunter now for 4+ years.

I wore a pair of their Obsidian Foundry pants in October in WI and really liked them. I also used the Sanctuary 2.0 bibs in November and this month and they've been great.

what about warmer temps around 60 to 70?
You would want the Catalyst for those temps or the Obsidian Merino pants.

Also, if you call FLthey will have a rep talk to you and help you out as well. They really do know their stuff. Worst case you get something shipped to you and you return it or exchange it.

I got through this whole PA season never wearing more than 3 layers. I chose one base layer based on my walk and the projected temperature and then I either wear or bring my klamath hoodie and then once up the tree I put on the 3rd layer, which is always windproof. This got me down into the low-mid 20's with a breeze and I was totally satisfied. The only cold weather outter layer I have from FL is the solitude bib and i do love them. I can go no or light long johns up to about 50 or paired w/ furnace LJ's and catalyst pant they're plenty good down to at least 20.

FL stuff really excels in warm weather and anything active but you really have to pair your layer(s) to what you're doing. I just finished updating my system and while I now carry/wear half as many pieces as I used to, I have twice as many pieces to chose from - and I use every one of em. 65+ = wick; 50-65 = fuse, 30 or 35-50=kiln; <30-35 furnace. The merino and fleece really hold on to your heat if you get a good wind blocker over top. The merino also dries out super quick so you don't end up colder, like with cotton. Merino, fleece, windblocker/extra insulation. In that order and tailored to the conditions you will never go wrong.

I wore a pair of their Obsidian Foundry pants in October in WI and really liked them. I also used the Sanctuary 2.0 bibs in November and this month and they've been great.

Have you had any issues with durability?

Avoid the obsidian foundry’s if your worried about durability. Lots of reviews mention them ripping and a friend of mine had them and they did the same. I had the corrugate foundry this year and they were the absolute best do-it-all pant I’ve ever owned. They are warm enough to wear into the 20s with a baselayer and you can wear them in the 80s and they have a zipper heat dump.
On top of that they have knee pads that work great for saddlehunting. Not as much cushion as a standard knee pad but it was enough for me. I recommend them to everyone lol. I was impressed.

I’m looking at getting a new setup for next season. How many of you use First Lite in your saddle? If so what do you wear, bibs or pants? I’d like to know what your setup is. I’ve heard mixed reviews on the Catalyst Jacket and Bib setup.
I’ve run both pants and solitude bibs this season, no issues. Just had to loosen the waist belt on the saddle around the bibs

Avoid the obsidian foundry’s if your worried about durability. Lots of reviews mention them ripping and a friend of mine had them and they did the same. I had the corrugate foundry this year and they were the absolute best do-it-all pant I’ve ever owned. They are warm enough to wear into the 20s with a baselayer and you can wear them in the 80s and they have a zipper heat dump.
On top of that they have knee pads that work great for saddlehunting. Not as much cushion as a standard knee pad but it was enough for me. I recommend them to everyone lol. I was impressed.
How was the sound with the corrugate foundry?Are they loud enough for a deer to hear? That’s the biggest complaint I’ve seen and what’s keeping me from pulling the trigger.

How was the sound with the corrugate foundry?Are they loud enough for a deer to hear? That’s the biggest complaint I’ve seen and what’s keeping me from pulling the trigger.
That was my biggest worry and the only drawback in my opinion. I have zero worries wearing them that a deer is going to hear me, but they aren’t fleece and they make some noise. The obsidians seem to be the softest/quietest but I’ve read so many reviews about them ripping i avoided them. I was then leaning towards the catalyst but I posed the question on a FB first lite group and the overwhelming response on which ‘foundry’ pant to get was the corrugate which is why I chose to go with them.

I’ve been wearing mine the last 3 days, they aren’t silent but they aren’t too loud if you’re careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following this thread. I'm in the southeast and considering First Lite myself. Generally doesn't get under 20 during the season, maybe not even under 30 much. Interested to see what folks recommend.

Following this thread. I'm in the southeast and considering First Lite myself. Generally doesn't get under 20 during the season, maybe not even under 30 much. Interested to see what folks recommend.

The base layers for sure. I just got the corrugate pants at Christmas and have enjoyed them for the few days I’ve had them (especially the side vents). But the merino base layers are awesome.

The base layers for sure. I just got the corrugate pants at Christmas and have enjoyed them for the few days I’ve had them (especially the side vents). But the merino base layers are awesome.
Oh nice! The corrugated pants paired with the base layers may be the ultimate move for my climate then. Should cover all my bases.

Back