• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Saddle Build

imstihlaguy

Hey, so Im new here, and to the saddle game, but im very excited to try to construct one, and more so to use it. Now I love to diy, but in this situation i dont have many of the skills required, so im farming out the project to like 6 or so friends who are all experts in one certain area, but definitely not in hunting lol.
so here goes my attempt at a plan for my saddle, which is only the first part of this project. id like some feedback on functionality, and safety as well.

My inner panel is a heavy canvas, kinda like duck fabric, with a cool, discontinued camo from the Canadian military (i told you i have cool friends), i plan to sew 1" webbing in a continuous loop around the back for some support, and to make some hanging loops, and use the same webbing to strengthen the pleats.

then for suspension i have a length of seat belt, also been sewn in a continuous loop, and on the seat belt that sticks out the side of the saddle, will be where i hang.

i will put carabiners on the seat belt, and attach that to a rope around the tree, and for a safety back up, i have a certified lower body rock harness that i will have my saddle clipped on to ( just to keep it from riding up) and that harness will be tethered to the tree as well.

i plan to sew in this order;
inner to outer panel
pleats
webbing to stiffen pleats
continuous webbing loop
seat belt loop

alll of my ropes and carabiners are rated for well more than ill ever need. 10000+ lbs

from this point, am I missing anything? or what do all you climbers think?
the project is not quite started yet, so now is the time to modify.

Well, i don't build saddles, but i think you can find a ton of info here. Start searching through all the threads on saddle builds. Above all be safe, check all gear at ground level. Good luck

Take your time. If you’re using the sewing machine, make sure you know it backwards and forwards. Keep an eye on your thread tension.

When you’re done, post some pictures.

I made my own a few years ago, it, and I are still kicking. I made the first one, posted it, and remade another one after some constructive criticism.

Be careful. Test the crap out of it at ground level.
and don’t be afraid to ask for help.

I'm confused, if you have a rock climbing harness you don't need a saddle. If you have a saddle, you don't need a climbing harness. Wearing both is going to be incredibly uncomfortable.

A climbing harness is not for hanging long term... i don't want fall trauma in my legs and hips, not to mention the lack of circulation from hanging out of the harness. The harness is just a back up to not have to trust my own work 100 percent, and in reality is mostly comfortable...that is until I'm suspended from it. It will for the most part work on the same principle as leg buckles

A climbing harness is not for hanging long term... i don't want fall trauma in my legs and hips, not to mention the lack of circulation from hanging out of the harness. The harness is just a back up to not have to trust my own work 100 percent, and in reality is mostly comfortable...that is until I'm suspended from it. It will for the most part work on the same principle as leg buckles
I have hung for hours in my climbing harnesses, personally. Far more comfortably than my saddle. My point wasn't the safety concern so much as the fact that if you have one (or the other) you don't need both and it will be even less comfortable than either by itself. If it's truly uncomfortable on it's own, perhaps a back band to help offset some of the weight?

For my first saddles, I just did a water knot at the bottom back of the saddle and then sewed it like I would have sewn it flat. It's a little bulky but I don't notice it when I'm in the tree. (I only notice it when I'm wearing the saddle in the car to drive to my hunting spot.) That way, it's a continuous piece of webbing that doesn't rely on the quality of the sewing. The sewing makes it cleaner (and stiffens up the webbing a bit) but the strength/safety of the saddle is entirely in the knot. I'm not particularly worried about my sewing strength but I figured what the hell, this way I know 100% that it's not coming free. Plus, I've been climbing hundreds of feet in hand tied harnesses like this for decades.
0128212123.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if this helps.... it seems like you're considering the Canadian camo canvas as the body of your saddle, and the seat belt straps as kind of along for the ride... but from what I've seen, the webbing is the structural component that keeps us alive; the fabric or mesh components are mostly for comfort and shape and convenience.

This DIY section predates a lot of the commercial saddles most people are using these days; reading the older posts is almost an archeological study of the evolution of saddles and platforms. What you're describing is the "RCH + Sit-Drag" or "RCH + fleece saddle" that was seen a lot more often a few years ago than today. These are still entirely viable methods; the Dryad Drey is a few generations of evolution of the latter approach. I seem to recall a few DIY sit-drags from the early days, but I'm not sure how many of these storied elders are still active on here. I think you're on the right track, and I'm looking forward to seeing your finished product!.

So its coming along slowly. I've got the pleats sewn in, and reinforced, with 20230731_120056.jpg

Attachments

• 20230731_120135.jpg
    20230731_120135.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 14
Back