• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First saddle hunt begins........

Well....it was not a great sit. I planned on sitting until close til dark but things did not work out as I wanted. I climbed up a pine tree about 1:30 pm. I went up about 20 feet with my WE steps and set up 2 as a platform. Everything is pretty good so far, but I underestimated how hot it was today. I have hunted this spot before and never had an issue with lack of shade, but today I couldnit hide from the sun.....and I have had a cold and fever this week.

After I had sat for about an hour, I dropped my thermacell and decided to go down and get it. When I got back up, one of my steps for my platform would not cam over right and I was having trouble getting standoffs in the right spot, not on the other step's rope.

It was about this point that I realized I was still sick and it was really hot. I decided I better get down. By the time I got down I really wasnt feeling well and poured water on my head. There was no shade at all. On the way down I just dropped the steps and figured I would put them in the bag when I got on the ground. I had 9 out of 10 loaded in the bag and they all fell out. Now Im really feeling like sh!t and have quit sweating. I just bundled all the steps loosein my backpack and Hiked about 3/4 mile back to the truck. Im just glad I had more water and AC at the truck.

TLDR: I wussed out...need more practice

Last edited by a moderator:
Not wussing out if your sick; especially if your not sweating.

I hope you feel better

Last edited:
Well....it was not a great sit. I planned on sitting until close til dark but things did not work out as I wanted. I climbed up a pine tree about 1:30 pm. I went up about 20 feet with my WE steps and set up 2 as a platform. Everything is pretty good so far, but I underestimated how hot it was today. I have hunted this spot before and never had an issue with lack of shade, but today I couldnit hide from the sun.....and I have had a cold and fever this week.

After I had sat for about an hour, I dropped my thermacell and decided to go down and get it. When I got back up, one of my steps for my platform would not cam over right and I was having trouble getting standoffs in the right spot, not on the other step's rope.

It was about this point that I realized I was still sick and it was really hot. I decided I better get down. By the time I got down I really wasnt feeling well and poured water on my head. There was no shade at all. On the way down I just dropped the steps and figured I would put them in the bag when I got on the ground. I had 9 out of 10 loaded in the bag and they all fell out. Now Im really feeling like sh!t and have quit sweating. I just bundled all the steps loosein my backpack and Hiked about 3/4 mile back to the truck. Im just glad I had more water and AC at the truck.

If you been out playing in the woods you best check for little pin head size ticks (nymph) to. I picked up a few couple of weeks ago in the withlacoochee forest. They will make you sick as well on top of what you already have.

It's the heat that makes a lightweight breathable saddle worth it every time.

If you been out playing in the woods you best check for little pin head size ticks (nymph) to. I picked up a few couple of weeks ago in the withlacoochee forest. They will make you sick as well on top of what you already have.
None yesterday... a month ago.. let's just say I still itch..

Back