• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First trail cam of the year stolen…

Boomah21

SH Member
Just a rant why the heck do people feel the need or right to take someone’s trail cams or other gear for that matter.

This one in particular bummed me out because I set it with my boy. Went to pull it today to be able to go thru the pics with him and of course the strap was cut and laying at the bottom of the tree and the camera gone.

It’s sad that I plan to loose 1-3 cameras every year to theft…what a sad world

Hung one and lost one this year. First I’ve ever hung. There were better ways I could’ve hung it, more concealed ways, etc. Right or wrong I refuse to accept the idea that it is my fault that a criminal committed a crime.

There is a stand that hasn’t been taken down in 3 plus years about 1/4 mile back, I’m not accusing that fine gentleman but…

I can assure you that near where that camera was is where I’m sitting many a day this fall.

Hung one and lost one this year. First I’ve ever hung. There were better ways I could’ve hung it, more concealed ways, etc. Right or wrong I refuse to accept the idea that it is my fault that a criminal committed a crime.

There is a stand that hasn’t been taken down in 3 plus years about 1/4 mile back, I’m not accusing that fine gentleman but…

I can assure you that near where that camera was is where I’m sitting many a day this fall.
He hasn’t moved the stand probably because it’s a terrible spot lol…shoot a booner and drag that sucker right past his stand and gut it at the base of the tree...:sunglasses:

Sorry man that sux. I use these mounts now and hang my cams at least 10 feet up using my stick. Camera loses have diminished greatly.
Thanks for posting this. I made up 8 of them
Today!

Was it on public land and if so is it legal in your state? I would assume we all follow the rule of thumb that it’s expected to go missing if left on public land.

I'm convinced I had one stolen last year and that I did not actually forget exactly where it was. I had it well hidden and finally found it the first go around after quite a bit of looking. I changed the card and put fresh batteries in it and moved it down the valley. Then I went back 4 or 5 months later during turkey season to check it and could not find it again. Well, I just figured I did too good a job of hiding it this time until I saw an identical camera set up on a food plot 500 yards or so from where I put my camera. Coincidence? It had the same paracord strap tied the same way and had a very similar camo paint scheme. I saw it, looked at it pretty good but gave the guy the benefit of the doubt that it was not my stolen camera. I left it without looking inside.

I got to thinking about it later and decided that the next time I was over that way I would look it over good and I had the serial number written down in a notebook. When I got back over there a week or two later it was gone.

I don't put many out and they are the El Cheapo ones, but this is the first I have had to be stolen. Kinda sucks but I see it as a hazard of leaving them out. people being people and all.

Was it on public land and if so is it legal in your state? I would assume we all follow the rule of thumb that it’s expected to go missing if left on public land.

Yes it’s legal here and it was on public. Expected to go missing?! That’s crazy to me, I run into a lot of really good dudes on public that I’m sure would never dream of messing with someone’s stuff but clearly others think differently.

Yes it’s legal here and it was on public. Expected to go missing?! That’s crazy to me, I run into a lot of really good dudes on public that I’m sure would never dream of messing with someone’s stuff but clearly others think differently.
Yeah, it’s illegal in my state but same I meet nothing but good dudes while hunting, but I also know people and if you present the door some will open it.

Why would we “expect” it to go missing just cuz it’s on public?? I only hunt on public and yes they are legal where I hunt and I don’t expect someone to just steal my cameras. That’s just sad. Sure I try to hide my cameras and put them a stick or so high because I know some people are just a$$holes, but I don’t expect that to be the norm. And rest assured if one of my cameras do go missing I’m gonna put another right there out in the open and a secondary one hidden more discretely with hopes I get a pic of the bandit and then I’ll be confronting someone. That just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Why would we “expect” it to go missing just cuz it’s on public?? I only hunt on public and yes they are legal where I hunt and I don’t expect someone to just steal my cameras. That’s just sad. Sure I try to hide my cameras and put them a stick or so high because I know some people are just a$$holes, but I don’t expect that to be the norm. And rest assured if one of my cameras do go missing I’m gonna put another right there out in the open and a secondary one hidden more discretely with hopes I get a pic of the bandit and then I’ll be confronting someone. That just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Bc when you expect it and it happens, bc it will happen, there’s no surprises. I’ve never lost or had a camera stolen, bc I don’t put cameras out at all on public, bc people.

Hey, you could look at it as a “steal a trail cam free” card and just swipe the next one you come across out there.

I guess that’s how this whole darned trail cam theft keeps perpetuating itself, down through the generations, westward the wagons, across the sands of time until - hell, I’m rambling again…

Just because they’re “good dudes” to your face doesn’t mean they are when they’re alone. You’re only as good as you are when it’s just you and God around.

This will be a continuous problem/concern/worry until you consistently lock them to the tree and hang em high. Then it becomes less of a problem.

always an A-hole somewhere to ruin it for everybody....on public you have to bring a climbing stick with you and hang em high and even better use a python lock with it, but in most cases the height is enough to keep most from taking it.

I used to always hang them high and have never/ would never place one without a Python lock on public or private. I did start hanging them low for better images/angles but I think I’m going to have to go high again to help keep bears from bothering them.

Back