• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Flood land trail cameras

RippinLips

Looking for ideas to mount a trail camera in an area that floods often. It’s a 3 1/2 hr drive for us to get to our farm and our swamp area along the river holds some of our best bucks. Getting them on camera enough to pattern is rough. I’m sure one of our DIY guys have figured something out.

Get some camera mounts that screw into the tree and put them about 12 feet up in a tree angled on the trail you want pics of. I use them all the time to keep them out of view of thieves. HEM makes one called easy aim camera mount they cost $9.99 apiece.

461c81c2789f8793b5e642136804235c.jpg

I just find a tree in the water or cut skinny one and jam it deep down in the mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1/4" eye bolt and eye lag. Hang them high and angle down. I use this in place of straps all the time.
6028035d3117fa4166f34c2141bbb825.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This is exactly what I do.
I also carry my EZKut drill and a few carbon bolts to get it up above human line of sight. They slip right down into a pocket, making checking cams super easy. (Even though they are often 10ft high)

I have used a wild edge step up 3/4 steps high, mount the cam right on the step and it angles down nicely! Pull the other steps on the way down that way someone would need to come back with a climbing method to take it.

1/4" eye bolt and eye lag. Hang them high and angle down. I use this in place of straps all the time.
6028035d3117fa4166f34c2141bbb825.jpg

Exactly what I do as well. Don't remember what I paid to make 2 of them but I have to make a few more. Regardless, they work so good I couldn't find one for awhile! Don't forget your steps or stick either when you go to check them! It's hard to climb a tree the older I get.

I should try the eye bolt method. How sturdy to they lockdown? I usually put it up high with a stick under the top to angle it down. Often time it’s only a few days before I get a couple pictures of raccoons and then I get a picture or two of if a coins face and every other picture is either sideways or I just don’t get anymore because it’s pointing in the wrong direction.

I should try the eye bolt method. How sturdy to they lockdown? I usually put it up high with a stick under the top to angle it down. Often time it’s only a few days before I get a couple pictures of raccoons and then I get a picture or two of if a coins face and every other picture is either sideways or I just don’t get anymore because it’s pointing in the wrong direction.
They actually do quite well. I use them even if I am at a normal height because it is much easier to set up. You can use them on giant trees or brush. Very seldom do I have one get moved by an animal.

Back