• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

FMJ arrows

Laker

Jan 7, 2015
There could be some discussion about arrows in a different thread, so I apologize for not posting this there (I couldn't find it). I am looking to buy new arrows and am looking for some advice. Any one tried Easton fmj? I think they are the ones I will go with but am specifically worried about the hidden inserts. I have heard that they make the arrow much easier to crack/break at the point of the insert when an arrow in shot into ground.

What arrows are you using with success? I am interested in penetration and durability more than speed.

Thanks!

NWFLBowhunter

Oct 22, 2014
Been shooting them for years and only have had 2 break. One broke when it went through a boar and he ran between 2 trees and snapped it, the other was a pass though at 45 yards, what I didn't see was a stump on the other side of the deer and it shoved the broad head insert into the shaft and split. Never had any other problems out of them.

Mclain

Apr 25, 2015
16 street
YAHOO
Mclainhines@outlook.com
You did not mention what arrows you are using. If they are spined correctly for your set up you can re -fletch the arrows yourself. Since you are using an elevated rest there should not be an issue shooting vanes. For target I am shooting 1.75 inch vanetecs . For hunting I use 4 inch. feathers

Mike K

Oct 29, 2014
NJ
Laker, I use FMJ's exclusively. I've seen way too many pictures of people with carbon slivers through their hands and wrists from straight carbon shafts that explode upon release. Don't worry about the hidden inserts, with the aluminum outer shaft its not a weak point at all. I never had a problem with them bending or breaking with NORMAL use, in fact I have one that has been through 3 deer and is still going strong.

essdub

Feb 22, 2015
Greenville South Carolina area
Mike K said:
Laker, I use FMJ's exclusively. I've seen way too many pictures of people with carbon slivers through their hands and wrists from straight carbon shafts that explode upon release.

Yeah those pics scare me too. I've recently (last deer season) switched to using carbon arrows because I have a lot of warped aluminum arrows. Mostly from grouping in target too closely.But every time I shot a deer or duck or rabbit or possum or raccoon, or anything else, the arrow would get banged up and not fly right afterwards. I'd wondered about those FMJs or the infused (or whatever they call them) arrows. So thanks guys, I might buy a dozen and see if I wanna switch.

j3hunt

Oct 8, 2014
Maine
I shot easton FMJ's for years, but when I got my new bow, i started having problems with the FMJ bending. You should inspect your arrows before you shoot them.... Every time!

swampsnyper

Mar 10, 2015
Warrior, Al
I shot the Easton axis with the hidden inserts. Never had a problem with them breaking on an animal unless the snapped it from running but no flaws on impact or pass thru's in dirt or trees. If your arrow is tuned and flying straight, all the energy is pushed straight forward. It's when an arrow is flying slightly cocked that it will snap easy on impact.
With that said, I don't expect an arrow to be reused after I shoot an animal. If I recover it, great but if not no big deal. If it does it's job once, everything else is just a bonus.

Hivner

May 6, 2015
16 street
YAHOO
Brendoner@outlook.com
The FMJ's are fantastic arrows and it all depends on what you are looking for. The reality is if your bow is sighted in for an arrow it really makes no difference on what the speed is. The only real benefit from speed (in my opinion) is if you mis judge yardage.