• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fng from ky looking for first saddle options

Rusty Green

First post looking into buying my first saddle, what are yall’s favorites looking for something durable not super concerned about weight. Also I hunt with a recurve, I’m 5’7ish and 145ish if that makes any difference in recommendations. Thanks in advance yall. Edit also should mention that I’d like to eventually try srt method if that also would make any difference.

Last edited:
Welcome!
Based on your post, I’d say maybe a Pioneer saddle from Ape Canyon Outfitters, particularly if rope climbing is in your future. Whenever they start making Woods Saddles at Ape Canyon, that’s another great option. I have been eyeing that and the Overwatch Orion up for a while, as well as the CGM Cobra. I just don’t need a new saddle right now is all. I’m short like you but about 35 pounds heavier and I’m hanging from a Size 1 Kestrel (no longer available). I’d say the smallest size of any saddle is what you want.

Welcome!
Based on your post, I’d say maybe a Pioneer saddle from Ape Canyon Outfitters, particularly if rope climbing is in your future. Whenever they start making Woods Saddles at Ape Canyon, that’s another great option. I have been eyeing that and the Overwatch Orion up for a while, as well as the CGM Cobra. I just don’t need a new saddle right now is all. I’m short like you but about 35 pounds heavier and I’m hanging from a Size 1 Kestrel (no longer available). I’d say the smallest size of any saddle is what you want.
Thanks for the recommendations I was looking at a method 2 before I posted this thread, just checked out what you recommended and that overwatch transformer is screaming at me.

Thanks for the recommendations I was looking at a method 2 before I posted this thread, just checked out what you recommended and that overwatch transformer is screaming at me.
Yeah that’s another great one. If you think you may want a two-panel, that’s what I’d go with. And for what it’s worth, you’d be hard pressed to get a more American-made piece of gear from any company nowadays. Overwatch should just be called “Overbuilt” because there’s no bomb created that can destroy one of those saddles.
CGM is also completely American made, and (I think) Ape Canyon as well. Drop a bomb into any one of these brands’ saddles and they won’t pop a seam.

Yeah that’s another great one. If you think you may want a two-panel, that’s what I’d go with. And for what it’s worth, you’d be hard pressed to get a more American-made piece of gear from any company nowadays. Overwatch should just be called “Overbuilt” because there’s no bomb created that can destroy one of those saddles.
CGM is also completely American made, and (I think) Ape Canyon as well. Drop a bomb into any one of these brands’ saddles and they won’t pop a seam.
Sounds good to me I like bomb proof and sounds like it would be happy in my kifaru pack when not in use gotta love USA made. And again thanks for the recommendations I hadn’t even heard of overwatch yet.

What part of KY are you in? Overwatch is made there. You can try one out before hand. Is @JCLINE84 still custom making them? You could ask him.
CGM is down in Tennessee.
I like my Cobra. Good saddle. Both a great local company if that means anything to you. You can always wait for a meet up, or saddle hunter event to try a bunch of stuff if your not in a big hurry.

What part of KY are you in? Overwatch is made there. You can try one out before hand. Is @JCLINE84 still custom making them? You could ask him.
I like my Cobra. Good saddle. Both a great local company if that means anything to you. You can always wait for a meet up, or saddle hunter event to try a bunch of stuff if your not in a big hurry.
I hadn’t even considered that Jamie was in KY when I posted. Good looks.
Same with Jerry being so close.

Outskirts of Louisville unfortunately

Come to the light, the JX3 tree saddle light..............
Don't be afraid, you will sit from dark to dark very comfortably, no fidgeting, be able to snooze when you want, no dreaded hip pinch, no back aches, you can shoot 360° around the tree with any weapon, bow or gun, no weak side shot.
No platform required, only a ROS, or a JX3 wide top climbing stick, no sore feet, no knee pads required, no sore knees, no tired legs from leaning as you can sit all day, built in pack frame for carrying all your needs. No getting into “saddle shape” as your Lazy Boy at home does it for you. Buy once, cry once.
Come to the light, the JX3 light...........

Come to the light, the JX3 tree saddle light..............
Don't be afraid, you will sit from dark to dark very comfortably, no fidgeting, be able to snooze when you want, no dreaded hip pinch, no back aches, you can shoot 360° around the tree with any weapon, bow or gun, no weak side shot.
No platform required, only a ROS, or a JX3 wide top climbing stick, no sore feet, no knee pads required, no sore knees, no tired legs from leaning as you can sit all day, built in pack frame for carrying all your needs. No getting into “saddle shape” as your Lazy Boy at home does it for you. Buy once, cry once.
Come to the light, the JX3 light...........
One of your best plugs yet.

Back