• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fork for a Tree Saddle?

okccj

Hi guys, I'm new to forum.

I've been saddle hunting for about four years now, but sometimes I find them to not be the most comfortable. Does anyone here use any sort of "fork" to keep you away from the trunk of the tree while in a seated position? I believe the Guido's web has this sort of attachment, but wondering if there is anything for a trophyline tree saddle I could use. Thanks in advance.

It's been quite a few years since I threw this out there. Anyone come up with a tree fork mod that could be added to any saddle?
The fork is the thing I really liked about the JX3, everything else, not so much.

I saw someone mention/use some webbing buckled around each leg and pressing that into the tree. Idk if that’s making sense… I could try and take a photo later on showing what I mean.

I saw someone mention/use some webbing buckled around each leg and pressing that into the tree. Idk if that’s making sense… I could try and take a photo later on showing what I mean.

No, not really following.

I'm guessing here, but I'm assuming he means a length of strap with thigh/calve loops on each side, and you use your legs and the strap section between the thigh/calve loops to push from the tree

The fork is the thing I really liked about the JX3, everything else, not so much.
I'll bite, what specifically did you not like about it? I'm genuinely curious, as someone who got one this year and still has to put major butt in seat time in it.

I just accepted the fact that my knees are just going to kill me after a few hours in a soft saddle and bought a JX3. I’ve only had it for a few weeks but the comfort isn’t overrated. There’s a weight penalty but it’s not that bad considering you don’t have to carry a platform other than maybe a ROS. You can also get by without a pack. It has a built in bow holder. Just strap your climbing method on and hunt.

These have basically been covered. But are a good look back at what's been done.

To have a usable fork, there has to be some structure, solid or skeletonized.

It may be possible to rivet a fork between two heavy pieces of webbing, like the Yellow Jacket uses, idk. @bj139 still went with a sewn in plywood seat.

There are some lightweight boson's seats (like the kong hammock) that could be modified, but they are pretty expensive.

Maybe a 3D printed skeleton or a good old swing seat could be used.

But those will likely come with their own set of issues.

A less robust version of the JX3 seat is something that could maybe work under a saddle like a sitdrag.

Last edited:
I don't remember who mentioned it but somebody has a piece of pvc shoved inside of a pool noodle and they place it on the bottom of their pack hanging in front of them on the tree and use it as a solid place to place their knees.

You guys better be careful, you are getting dangerously close to a JX3.......................

No doubt, the JX3 was the most comfortable saddle I've used, but there were a few things about it that made me move away from it. Great option and I killed two good bucks out of it.

Funny I stumbled onto this topic as I just tested out a stand off for my setup today. My setup I use a New Tribe Tengu saddle and a Petzl Podium seat and made a 1 1/4" pvc tube with and aluminum twist to lock leg for an old Shopsmith cut down. I cut down the leg that has a rubber cane cap on it and JB welded into the pvc tube that is sotted to fit over the edge of the Podium. Now I have an adjustable way to relax my legs(against tree fatigue) and also eliminate knee pads altogether. It packs on the bottom of the Podium when not in use and is connected by an Amsteel continuous loop so should it work loose it will not fall to the ground. Worked great on a medium maple as well as a bigger oak.

Funny I stumbled onto this topic as I just tested out a stand off for my setup today. My setup I use a New Tribe Tengu saddle and a Petzl Podium seat and made a 1 1/4" pvc tube with and aluminum twist to lock leg for an old Shopsmith cut down. I cut down the leg that has a rubber cane cap on it and JB welded into the pvc tube that is sotted to fit over the edge of the Podium. Now I have an adjustable way to relax my legs(against tree fatigue) and also eliminate knee pads altogether. It packs on the bottom of the Podium when not in use and is connected by an Amsteel continuous loop so should it work loose it will not fall to the ground. Worked great on a medium maple as well as a bigger oak.
Pictures?

Back