• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Found a used saddle

If the size is right for you I say go for it. That saddle is better suited for sitting IMO. Thats what I started with. Excellent saddle. Thats what trophyline started it all with. A little bulky, but it was made with heavy duty strap material. If you mod it with a waist belt it will work out great.

A little bulky, but it was made with heavy duty strap material. If you mod it with a waist belt it will work out great.
or suspenders.

looks like a great deal. something like that was my first saddle. heavy but comfy.

Last edited:
Check the stitching very carefully. I have the same saddle in mossy oak from 2008. The stitching on my lineman’s belt was starting to let go this year. They were only rated for like 5 years after the manufacture date. It’s functional, but no where near as comfortable as a modern saddle like my Venatic. It’s also double the weight without any extras. On the other hand if it’s in good shape, they were rated almost double the break strength of modern saddles. That includes the lineman’s belt and tether strap. Good luck, and be careful!

Would you use it with the the nylon strap tether and linesman belt?
I found some 12yr old YouTube videos demonstrating this saddle and it looks like ropes with prusiks would be more user friendly?

Would you use it with the the nylon strap tether and linesman belt?
I found some 12yr old YouTube videos demonstrating this saddle and it looks like ropes with prusiks would be more user friendly?
i would definitely replace the tether and lineman with something made of rope, yes
those ones arent the most user friendly, and are heavy

I believe it has suspenders already, the gray straps I thought were suspenders?

Would it be worth the effort to replace nylon bridge wot a rope bridge?
yes those are actually, I forgot they had them already. I wound up cutting my original suspenders off and replacing them with a more sturdy pair, the elastic in my suspenders were worn out.

I think i left my bridge, with a wide enough carabiner, i didnt have issues with it. I used a Black Diamond RockLock Screwgate Carabiner.

The linesman’s web belt was my favorite. Was way more stable than a rope. Was easier to adjust vs a prussic. The wise webbing just grips the tree, and isn’t floppy like rope.

The bridge is sewn into the saddle. Might be able to use the linesman’s loops to make rope bridge.

Back