• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Frame pack question

20ftup

Looking for some options as far a frame pack that has a pack that can detach from the frame. I’d like to have a frame for carrying sticks and platform along with extra clothes. But I hate having a big bulky pack in the tree with me. Need some advice from the pack guys or different ideas for what yens have came up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking for some options as far a frame pack that has a pack that can detach from the frame. I’d like to have a frame for carrying sticks and platform along with extra clothes. But I hate having a big bulky pack in the tree with me. Need some advice from the pack guys or different ideas for what yens have came up with.

Give us a reference point - what pack do you use in the tree now, and do you feel it is big and bulky, or ok? I can give some advice once I know what you deem big and bulky

I used a cheap field and stream Adirondack last season love the size of it in the tree don’t won’t any bigger. Just doesn’t carry platform sticks and extra clothes well. I’m hoping to have a frame just for the hike in. Then once at the tree just take my smaller pack up and leave the frame on the ground. Open to any ideas just brainstorming here

That's what I do I use a medium sized molle assault pack right now. I'll get some pics here in awhile

Throw your predator down on the shelf I split my sticks so it keeps the profile small.. if u had muddy or cut down sticks it works even better. Throw center load strap on nice and tight put whatever pack u like on and then put top and bottom load strap on and your good to go solid and no noise. Eberlestock sells all kinds of packs duffels bladders that either zip to frame or attach per load straps I just went that route 1 cause it's cheaper and 2 most time I use bolts and throw my predator in the pack. When i get to tree i throw on my saddle and pack and put frame to side and cover with some leaves or something and climb up. I love the frame I've hauled climbers stands meat it's always in my toolbox during hunting season. Super comfy straps and hip belt really helps even out weight if u haul something heavy.

My only advice would be to stash the frame a hundred yards or so out on your access trail - not under your tree. I've blown several opportunities the last few years leaving stuff at base of tree, only to have deer smell it when getting in close before I can get a shot, and then jetting out.

I use the MR pop-up and I strap the hip belt around the tree, and tighten the cinch straps up once I've gotten my crap out. It probably sticks out maybe 3" off the tree, and I leave the lid pocket unzipped for things I need access to. I can comfortably carry any gear to the field, pack out a boned whitetail, and not have to leave something at base of tree or have a giant pack in tree.

I do appreciate the versatility on just a pack frame though. I would just hesitate to leave it at base of tree if you're bowhunting...

I just found out about pack rabbit looks like it would fit the bill. Any other company’s make just a frame?

Can the packs be removed from MR pop 18?

Yup, very easily. I've got a source for replacement buckles too if you'd like to make a pack or add the buckles to a difffernt pack that mates up to the frame. Or you can attach in a number of different ways.

Yup, very easily. I've got a source for replacement buckles too if you'd like to make a pack or add the buckles to a difffernt pack that mates up to the frame. Or you can attach in a number of different ways.

Did you say that you asked MR about selling just the frame and they said no. Or am I making that up?

Did you say that you asked MR about selling just the frame and they said no. Or am I making that up?

I think someone else may have asked that it sounds familiar. I did say if I started from scratch I would just buy a frame from them and build or source my own pack

I think someone else may have asked that it sounds familiar. I did say if I started from scratch I would just buy a frame from them and build or source my own pack

I should be clear the pack is awesome. I just prefer something a little quieter. It's perfect for 75% of my hunts. I get very few cold crisp calm days to hunt, but when I do, I want a quieter approach.

I just purchased the Eberlestock F1 mainframe after eyeing it for two years and I must say I love the thing so far. I also picked up the bat wing pouches, small accessory pouch, side scabbard, and butt bucket for carrying my bow. Awesome setup for going in deep. I think it could possibly even be taken up the tree as it is much smaller than most frames being only 11x23”,I believe, and a low profile when bat wings are compressed with sinch straps.
Before this I used a alps outdoors frame that I customized to size and to work with a removable sling pack for taking up the tree. FYI sling packs work out super nice for carrying the predator, once at hunting height they can be spun around front for easy access to platform. However the alps Isjust not built tough enough for me it’s wearing out after putting less then 50 miles on it. Eberlestock is far superior in quality, tho I haven’t tested yet, it is obvious. The modularity of this system is what ultimately sold me .well done Eberlestock. The f1 mainframe is on sale right now on their home site.

I have the MR Mule. The bag detached from the frame. I love the pack. I carry my LW hand climber between the pack and frame.
d9ac332b0f075cce6a9a14b8054ff317.jpg

Back