• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Friction Hitch MBS Standard??? (8mm resc tech Mainline)

dramsey25

SH Member
Been searching high and low in the forum, and can't find what I am looking for... Is there an arborist/climbing standard for the MBS on the cordage used to tie friction hitches?

This question has been asked a few times (and I have read the answers), but if you climb/rappel on 8mm mainline what is your preferred cordage for the friction hitches? Also if you have the info what is the MBS?

Thanks

Been searching high and low in the forum, and can't find what I am looking for... Is there an arborist/climbing standard for the MBS on the cordage used to tie friction hitches?

This question has been asked a few times (and I have read the answers), but if you climb/rappel on 8mm mainline what is your preferred cordage for the friction hitches? Also if you have the info what is the MBS?

Thanks

What's your 8 mm line? Is it rated as a single line or as a double/twin? My Oplux is 8 mm and folks tend to use 6 mm trc.

If you tie your friction hitch with 2 scaffold knots to the carabiner OR use a sewn ends on the end of it (and dress it so both legs are holding roughly the same weight), then you've roughly doubled the strength of that connection since two independent sections are splitting the weight.

Thanks

ANSI Standards for arborists for rope or cord is 5400 lbs for end to end pull, like raisins stated, double eye hitch cord only needs to be half that.

This is is the answer I needed! I kept comparing the strength of cordage to the mainline, and knew it would be less, but didn't understand how something around 2500 could be within climbing spec.

What's your 8 mm line? Is it rated as a single line or as a double/twin? My Oplux is 8 mm and folks tend to use 6 mm trc.

If you tie your friction hitch with 2 scaffold knots to the carabiner OR use a sewn ends on the end of it (and dress it so both legs are holding roughly the same weight), then you've roughly doubled the strength of that connection since two independent sections are splitting the weight.

Currently climbing on 8mm resc tech.

I don't know that completely understand difference between double/twin or single line ratings... Assuming single line rating is what its rating for single rope applications, and if rated as a double rope then they are giving the MBS based on a double rope system?

Thanks
Arborist don’t use 8mm to rappel 8mm is their minimum cord for hitches. They use 11mm or larger unless specially trained.
Personally I won’t use a hitch cord with less than 2000 lbs breaking strength. That way I know it has an MBS of 3000 lbs or higher in loop configuration. That way my working load limit of 300 lbs for life safety is met

This is is the answer I needed! I kept comparing the strength of cordage to the mainline, and knew it would be less, but didn't understand how something around 2500 could be within climbing spec.
Because it would be used in double leg configuration (eye to eye) or loop configuration (closed prusik loop).

Arborist don’t use 8mm to rappel 8mm is their minimum cord for hitches. They use 11mm or larger unless specially trained.
Personally I won’t use a hitch cord with less than 2000 lbs breaking strength. That way I know it has an MBS of 3000 lbs or higher in loop configuration. That way my working load limit of 300 lbs for life safety is met

Yes I remember seeing they must be on 11mm ropes or larger. Thank you tho!

Also the sharing of the way you think about breaking strength in your hitch cords is very helpful. Looks like something between 2000 and 2700 would be ideal and considered "safe" but not up to standard.

Thanks.

Yes I remember seeing they must be on 11mm ropes or larger. Thank you tho!

Also the sharing of the way you think about breaking strength in your hitch cords is very helpful. Looks like something between 2000 and 2700 would be ideal and considered "safe" but not up to standard.

Thanks.
Correct. I believe their suggested hitch cord sizing is 2 or 3 mm smaller than main climbing line or lanyard. So 11mm you’d want 9 or 8mm hitch cord. Are you trying to do tree work professionally or are you just wanting to be sure your cord is near their standard for personal safety? As Brocky mentioned though if your hitch cord is 2700 or stronger it’ll be somewhere in the 5400 ball park for basket configuration.

Thanks
Most people using 8mm line use 5.5 mm cord such as Beal or titan cord from Bluewater. Or they use 6mm such as sterling TRC. As mentioned there are yacht racing cord in 6mm that is polyester technora dyneema blends that have around 4000 lbs breaking strength which would be plenty strong both in loop form or as eye to eye hitch cord

Correct. I believe their suggested hitch cord sizing is 2 or 3 mm smaller than main climbing line or lanyard. So 11mm you’d want 9 or 8mm hitch cord. Are you trying to do tree work professionally or are you just wanting to be sure your cord is near their standard for personal safety? As Brocky mentioned though if your hitch cord is 2700 or stronger it’ll be somewhere in the 5400 ball park for basket configuration.

Just trying to be safe. While also assuming that being as close to arborist recommendations as possible is probably a wise thing. While also understanding many in this community like to push the limits on things due to packability and comfort and such. Which I am also trying to keep in mind while remaining "safe."

Just trying to be safe. While also assuming that being as close to arborist recommendations as possible is probably a wise thing. While also understanding many in this community like to push the limits on things due to packability and comfort and such. Which I am also trying to keep in mind while remaining "safe."
I’m a safety first kind of guy. I won’t use 8mm recuse tech because it doesn’t have any stiffness for a lineman’s rope and because it’s technora/dyneema so it won’t shock load as well as polyester or nylon if an oopsie occurs. There are some great 9mm ropes with 7mm hitch cords that will be closer to the strengths you’re wanting while still being pretty small and packable

I’m a safety first kind of guy. I won’t use 8mm recuse tech because it doesn’t have any stiffness for a lineman’s rope and because it’s technora/dyneema so it won’t shock load as well as polyester or nylon if an oopsie occurs. There are some great 9mm ropes with 7mm hitch cords that will be closer to the strengths you’re wanting while still being pretty small and packable

what 9 mm lines would you recommend for a lineman's? i wouldn't mind it being static since my tether is dynamic this year

what 9 mm lines would you recommend for a lineman's? i wouldn't mind it being static since my tether is dynamic this year
I prefer protac. 6000 lbs break strength. It’s a small 9mm rope too. It has a very stiff sheath but isn’t as “static” as ropes like oplux so it’s softer if you were to fall

Where did you get the shorter length.
everybody wants to sell 200' +

Back