• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Frustrated

goodfelg

SH Member
Today I hunted an area that I've been to before and seen deer, but today the wind was from the South and steady so I was going to work to the end of a N-S ridge. 2 hours and 3/4 of a mile later I'm at the end, and I like what I see. Greenbriar and high-stem count on the west slope, Oaks on the east side. Started looking for a tree to climb when I stopped and thought: No rubs or scrapes, no notable trails or beds, no balloons or poop. Looks pretty but no signs of life.
Disappointed I dropped partway down the western slope to scout back, and about 150 yards I get a draw running up to the ridge and with the leaves mostly down I can see 300-400 feet down the draw and over to the next ridge. Looks like a good spot to take a brake, shed a layer and glass for a bit. 10 minutes later I spot some movement and a group of 5 does moves off the far ridge, into the draw and up the ridge I'm on, right through the oaks I discounted. They weren't running, just walking. I lost sight of them when they hit the greenbriar, but they didn't appear to stop. I can't circle in front of them because they were heading into a closed area, but I can get to where they came from, so I head back to the Jeep, because its on the way and to restock on water. Why is it 75 degrees on November 1st?
10 feet behind the Jeep is a fresh scrape that wasn't there when I started. That's it, I'm done for today.

Today I hunted an area that I've been to before and seen deer, but today the wind was from the South and steady so I was going to work to the end of a N-S ridge. 2 hours and 3/4 of a mile later I'm at the end, and I like what I see. Greenbriar and high-stem count on the west slope, Oaks on the east side. Started looking for a tree to climb when I stopped and thought: No rubs or scrapes, no notable trails or beds, no balloons or poop. Looks pretty but no signs of life.
Disappointed I dropped partway down the western slope to scout back, and about 150 yards I get a draw running up to the ridge and with the leaves mostly down I can see 300-400 feet down the draw and over to the next ridge. Looks like a good spot to take a brake, shed a layer and glass for a bit. 10 minutes later I spot some movement and a group of 5 does moves off the far ridge, into the draw and up the ridge I'm on, right through the oaks I discounted. They weren't running, just walking. I lost sight of them when they hit the greenbriar, but they didn't appear to stop. I can't circle in front of them because they were heading into a closed area, but I can get to where they came from, so I head back to the Jeep, because its on the way and to restock on water. Why is it 75 degrees on November 1st?
10 feet behind the Jeep is a fresh scrape that wasn't there when I started. That's it, I'm done for today.
Thats hunting. A pass time of highs and lows. Shake it off. Scrape means one is active and close.

I get that, it just got to me today, was probably the heat. Based on the tracks in the mud, he crossed the road, so it's probably the spike I've passed on twice. The area the does headed into has a big body 10 point with some kickers. Too bad its a Biohazard area and off limits.

It was the old dump on post operational from WW!! to the late 50's. It's been covered since then and get monitored and the Government says it's "safe" but keep out. I'm more concerned about CWD. Not that i have to be too concerned about eating them the way this year has gone.

One thing turns my interest right off.
HEAT. I hate it lol but, i try.
ive scouted and hunted almost 30 miles of ground before yesterday and i took the day off.
i was total burned out.
yesterday I actually made a post ranting over it lol

Yesterday was day 6 without seeing a deer of any sort in spite of hunting good feed sign every time, different spots, covering miles. I did have one blow at me from 100 yards off that heard me climb down in the dark. It's getting to the point where when one blows, I am just happy that a deer exists and is close enough to me to get mad I'm there. I once went 18 straight days without seeing a deer on that old lease.

Sounds like you actually eliminated parts of where you were hunting and gaining some valuable info for the next hunt. The biggest killer of my enjoyment is unmet expectations and comparing myself to others. I agree 100% that it’s November and shouldn’t be 78 degrees today but it is. That used to get me so pissed that I’d just stay home. I see all of the other deer people are posting pictures of and it would honestly make me jealous. The part of the season I should be hitting the hardest and I’d be sitting at home mad and upset. I’m NOT saying this is what you are dealing with just saying there are 1000 things that can take the joy out of what we do. I quite often have to take a moment and shift my perspective. HANG IN THERE brother and take a breath. You’ll put it together and when you do it’ll be all the more sweeter. And don’t forget, you are part of a very small group of hunters,that hangs from ropes, connected to trees, with a bow and arrow, on hunting ground open to the public. This thing we do ain’t always easy!!

Here's an idea....change it up and go squirrel hunt or fishing next time out...something u can see a little higher success rate and boost up some confidence....that's what I normally do.
Or crappie fishing. It’s been way better fishing weather here.

Here's an idea....change it up and go squirrel hunt or fishing next time out...something u can see a little higher success rate and boost up some confidence....that's what I normally do.
That's a good suggestion. It's just the normal grind around here. We have low deer numbers and when it is hot, they just don't move much. When you have 4 to 6 deer per square mile, and they have about 6 to 8 good feed trees in that amount of area it's hard to guess which they will be at and often they aren't there until after dark anyway.

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions. I didn't mean to come off as I was giving up, just had some higher expectations for this spot based on previous experiences and that it's been closed most of the season. Season started 15 Oct and I've been out 3-4 days a week (retirement has some advantages). I've been seeing deer almost every sit just not in range or one that I want to burn an antler tag on.

Back