• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gear Review: Stealth Strips from Stealth Outdoors

d_rek

Hi Everyone,

Since i'm a bit of a gear freak, and apparently have too much time on my hands, I figured i'd write up a review of some of the gear I regularly use.

Full disclosure: I'm a modder. And I love to DIY and mod prefab items to make them even better, or customize to my specific needs. It probably began as a child, starting with legos and customizing gear for my GI Joes. It continued into my nerdy teenage years with PCs, and now as an adult with a lot of different type of gear and toys.

Anyway, here is my writeup of the Stealth Strips for climbing sticks by Stealth Outdoors: http://www.stealthoutdoors.com/shop/climbing-stick-kit-xd3/

MSRP/Purchased Price:
$25.00 + 3.00 flat rate shipping.

Where bought:
direct through stealth outdoors website

Initial Impressions:
The strips arrived sealed in a white flat rate letter-sized shipping envelope. Unpacking them was uneventful. I was impressed by the softness of the microfleece material and also the definition of the camo pattern. There is also a very present, but not overwhelming, chemical odor which I assume is from the adhesive on the strips.

Quality:
Again, I was impressed by the softness of the microfleece and the definition of the camo pattern. The material is quite heavy duty, and required a very sharp box cutter to slice through cleanly without having to score multiple times. This indicated to me that the material should hold up to abuse in the field pretty well.

Features:
The adhesive backing on the strips is die-cut into a single 1" strip that runs the length of the strips. Once you apply the strips to your sticks the metal-on-metal clanging from the buckles or other sticks is dramatically reduced.

Ease-of-Use:
Quite frankly installation sucked. Applying the material was not in and of itself difficult. The difficult part was cutting the material after applying to accommodate the hardware for the climbing sticks. In particular cutting 1" DIA circles for the nylon washers was a huge PIA. After one stick I defaulted to cutting squares in the material rather than trying to carve neat circles, which while not as aesthetically pleasing to me does not reduce the effectiveness of the product.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the hardware on the climbing sticks was not that difficult, but you can potentially get confused if you are not careful and cut holes in the wrong place since all of the holes on the sticks will be covered with material.

Installation took approx. 1 3/4 hrs. Removing all the hardware from the sticks, applying the material, cutting holes, and putting the hardware back on is a tedious and time consuming process. Be prepared to set aside a small chunk of time to install the Stealth Strips.

Lastly, it should be noted that it was much more difficult to get the sticks to 'nest' once the material was freshly applied. I will assume that over time the material will compress and nesting will become easier again.

Field-tested?
I have not tested in the field, but will tomorrow!

Closing thoughts:
I really like the stealth strips and how drastically they muffle metal banging and clanging on the sticks. I just wish installation was a bit easier. I felt that if the manufacturer had invested in kiss or die-cutting the material it would make installation dramatically easier, and the user wouldn't have to do so much work to install this great product.

ss001.jpg

Before and After

ss002.jpg

Material Detail

ss003.jpg

There is one useful piece of information on the included instructions. Otherwise they are rather crude.

ss004.jpg

Tools I used

ss005.jpg

Stripped climbing stick

ss006.jpg

Adhesive detail

ss007.jpg

Wrapped stick

ss008.jpg

Seam detail

ss009.jpg

Cut detail

ss010.jpg

4 wrapped sticks!

In this video I was really trying to thrash the sticks in a way that would probably be extreme in most hunting situations. I think most of us are going to be far more careful than I was here. And while the audio is probably sub-par it should give you an idea of how quiet the stealth strips make the sticks and the buckles!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14619721/saddle/stealth_strips/ss_banging.m4v

That's it. Hope you enjoyed!

Uncle Lou is the man and great to deal with. I stealth stripped my sticks last year and what a difference. I recently purchased a Lone Wolf Alpha II as well and bought the silencing kit that he sell for the stand. Just a superior product and I don't know how I would go about things without them anymore. Definately a must have in my opinion. Really nice job with the review and install.
The time you put in on the installation is well worth it my friend. It does suck but mine show no signs of wear and they get some heavy use. Also just a quick tip. you will have time when your steps get loose and you have to re-tighten them. The white washers suck. Clear nylon is the ticket when it gets time to replace a few. Also generously wax the washers w/ bow wax and put a little bit of blue thread locker on the screws. Thats the kind that you can remove. Don't use the red. Also your buckles. Also if you have a little scrap left over just cut a really small piece and wrap it around the stopper bolt wear the steps make contack, then get yourself a bike inner-tube and slide a 3'' piece over your buckles thats what tops off the job. Absolutley no risk of banging or clanging. If you want a picture of an example I can post one up.

Bigburner said:
Uncle Lou is the man and great to deal with. I stealth stripped my sticks last year and what a difference. I recently purchased a Lone Wolf Alpha II as well and bought the silencing kit that he sell for the stand. Just a superior product and I don't know how I would go about things without them anymore. Definately a must have in my opinion. Really nice job with the review and install.
The time you put in on the installation is well worth it my friend. It does suck but mine show no signs of wear and they get some heavy use. Also just a quick tip. you will have time when your steps get loose and you have to re-tighten them. The white washers suck. Clear nylon is the ticket when it gets time to replace a few. Also generously wax the washers w/ bow wax and put a little bit of blue thread locker on the screws. Thats the kind that you can remove. Don't use the red. Also your buckles. Also if you have a little scrap left over just cut a really small piece and wrap it around the stopper bolt wear the steps make contack, then get yourself a bike inner-tube and slide a 3'' piece over your buckles thats what tops off the job. Absolutley no risk of banging or clanging. If you want a picture of an example I can post one up.

Thanks I shot him a quick email last night with some suggestions and he was very open to them.

Thanks for the other tips too. I've seen mods where people are wrapping the buckle in inner tubes or someone also used this neoprene sleeve for boat oars that they cut to length. All seem like good solutions. When i've got more money to burn i'll look into getting something to cover the buckles :D

d_rek said:
Bigburner said:

Thanks I shot him a quick email last night with some suggestions and he was very open to them.

Thanks for the other tips too. I've seen mods where people are wrapping the buckle in inner tubes or someone also used this neoprene sleeve for boat oars that they cut to length. All seem like good solutions. When i've got more money to burn i'll look into getting something to cover the buckles :D

Never used Lou's strips, but many talk highly of them. If you want to do the inner tube mod, read my posts on this thread for what size tube and what length to cut them. Wasnt my idea, but its what worked for me. Others had issues, must have used a smaller diameter tube.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5925&start=45

I have been looking at them for a while. My buddy bought them for his lone wolf stand and put them on his climbing sticks. They are the most under rated product on the market. I took some of his left over scraps and used them on my metal bow hook and they are great. I plan on buying them for all my lone wolf and muddy sticks. My friend said the owner is also awesome guy and very easy to deal with. There is a great example on how to install them on your lone wolf sticks on DIY Sportsman http://diy-sportsman.com/2015/05/09/tre ... diy-video/

Louis is a stand up guy. I woudl not hesitate to give him money again. The strips are wonderful.

Back