• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Getting Land Permission

Tylerhorner33

So the spots I used to hunt growing up have all but dried up and I’m trying to look for some do places. I as curious if anyone had some tips on asking land owners permission to hunt. Didn’t know if there were any key things to say or to avoid saying.

Following. I need to start doing this in a major way in my area. The very few pieces of tiny public properties pretty much suck most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya. There’s some large public about an hour and a half north of me which isn’t terrible but with working two jobs it’d be nice to have somewhere closer if I don’t have a full day to commit

Right now seems like an optimal time to send letters out with social distancing. Get familiar with your local GIS website/assessor website, OnX or whatever you can use to look up landowner info and type or write up a nice formal letter. Explain how you'd like to hunt their land, what your intentions are, volunteer to help with fencing projects, mowing, tree cutting, farming, etc. if need be (or don't) whatever you feel comfortable with. Leave your name, number, contact info and a self-addressed stamped envelope for a return response. Maybe vow to meet them in person if comfortable before the season begins. Good luck!

Letters work especially now. All of the above works in a letter. My experience is 1 in 10 letters actually get a response and not every response is a yes. Other options are to look for properties not everyone is asking for permission...
Keep in touch with the "no" responses. It may just take a couple years before they get to know you. Always respect the landowner in every way! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jmo ,you may have a greater chance asking for permission to bow hunt only, but go for it . You may spent countless hours and energy for nothing. I was the same way looking for the private honey hole. How I just direct most of my effort scouting public lands .The places I hunt are an hour away also it is what it is . Good luck

I'm no pro, but here are my tips if you're going door-to-door:
  1. Do what you can to put the homeowner at ease/not be scared of you. This includes ringing the doorbell then backing away from the door/down the steps (especially during Covid), keeping your hands visible (not like you're going to pull a gun), not being shifty/nervous-looking, smiling, and dressing respectably.
  2. Be prepared/do your homework. It's helpful if you do your research so you can say, "Hi, you must be Mr. Jones, my name is ____..." and go from there. I also like to have a permission contract in my hand (just search for a form online) that will establish that I have permission to hunt the property and I'm waiving any claims against the landowner if I get hurt. Also, ask for permission well ahead of the season, which actually helps you when it comes to pre-season scouting and prep.
  3. Establish a connection to them. Tell them you live nearby, you have permission from one of their neighbors, or you went to the same college as the flag in their yard. Be truthful, of course, but help them feel like you're not some total stranger with no connection to them/their property.
  4. Make it clear what you want and why. For example: "I love the calm and quiet of hunting--it helps recharge my batteries and clear my head--but I just can't go often if I don't have a spot closer to home. I'm trying to find a place near my house to pursue my passion of bow hunting, which will have me spending less time on the road and more time with my family."
  5. Be respectful. Yes sir/yes ma'am, eye contact, and tone all matter, and they're super easy things to get right.
  6. Offer them something. Tell them you'll help out with yard work, fencing, keeping an eye on the property, watch their dog when they leave town, give them as much of the meat as they want, will shoot coyotes or other predators, etc.
  7. Be prepared to hear "no." A lot. Don't get down about it. Remember, if you don't ask, it's the same thing as a no. As long as you're respectful, you leave the door open to future opportunities, so it's pretty much a no-lose scenario--just costs you a little time. Stay after it until you get a "yes!"
Once you get permission:
  1. Ask questions and set expectations. Ask where they'd like you to park, whether anyone else hunts, whether you can scout, whether you should let them know when you're coming and going, whether it's alright to hang trail cams, and whether they have any restrictions for you (e.g., does only, weekdays only, etc.).
  2. Maintain the relationship. Once you have permission, the focus shifts to keeping it. Bring them baked goods, take the paper up to the doorstep if they have a long driveway, pick up sticks in the yard, etc. when you're there to hunt. Those little things when you're already on the property go a long way. Also, if you get one, bring them some nicely butchered meat (if they want it), and be sure to send them pictures of one of the meals you cook with the meat, showing them you're feeding your family, not "trophy hunting." Keep offering to help. Send them cool trail cam pics/videos. Say "thank you" until you run out of oxygen, and let them know how much you're enjoying their property, which is all due to their generosity. Treat them like a valued client/customer.
Hope this helps! Be sure to report back once you get your first new permission!

1. Do what you can to put the homeowner at ease/not be scared of you. This includes ringing the doorbell then backing away from the door/down the steps (especially during Covid), keeping your hands visible (not like you're going to pull a gun), not being shifty/nervous-looking, smiling, and dressing respectably.
  2. Be prepared/do your homework. It's helpful if you do your research so you can say, "Hi, you must be Mr. Jones, my name is ____..." and go from there. I also like to have a permission contract in my hand (just search for a form online) that will establish that I have permission to hunt the property and I'm waiving any claims against the landowner if I get hurt. Also, ask for permission well ahead of the season, which actually helps you when it comes to pre-season scouting and prep.
  3. Establish a connection to them. Tell them you live nearby, you have permission from one of their neighbors, or you went to the same college as the flag in their yard. Be truthful, of course, but help them feel like you're not some total stranger with no connection to them/their property.
  4. Make it clear what you want and why. For example: "I love the calm and quiet of hunting--it helps recharge my batteries and clear my head--but I just can't go often if I don't have a spot closer to home. I'm trying to find a place near my house to pursue my passion of bow hunting, which will have me spending less time on the road and more time with my family."
  5. Be respectful. Yes sir/yes ma'am, eye contact, and tone all matter, and they're super easy things to get right.
  6. Offer them something. Tell them you'll help out with yard work, fencing, keeping an eye on the property, watch their dog when they leave town, give them as much of the meat as they want, will shoot coyotes or other predators, etc.
  7. Be prepared to hear "no." A lot. Don't get down about it. Remember, if you don't ask, it's the same thing as a no. As long as you're respectful, you leave the door open to future opportunities, so it's pretty much a no-lose scenario--just costs you a little time. Stay after it until you get a "yes!"
Once you get permission:
  1. Ask questions and set expectations. Ask where they'd like you to park, whether anyone else hunts, whether you can scout, whether you should let them know when you're coming and going, whether it's alright to hang trail cams, and whether they have any restrictions for you (e.g., does only, weekdays only, etc.).
  2. Maintain the relationship. Once you have permission, the focus shifts to keeping it. Bring them baked goods, take the paper up to the doorstep if they have a long driveway, pick up sticks in the yard, etc. when you're there to hunt. Those little things when you're already on the property go a long way. Also, if you get one, bring them some nicely butchered meat (if they want it), and be sure to send them pictures of one of the meals you cook with the meat, showing them you're feeding your family, not "trophy hunting." Keep offering to help. Send them cool trail cam pics/videos. Say "thank you" until you run out of oxygen, and let them know how much you're enjoying their property, which is all due to their generosity. Treat them like a valued client/customer.

This is exactly what I was looking for! I’m definitely ok with leading with a proper introduction. Almost like giving a verbal background check. I figured I would mention about only hunting as well and just leave it up to them if they say they’re ok with anything else. Thanks for the help.

TNbowhunter is right on...
When I moved from FL to NY in July of 2000 I spent the 1st 3 months knocking on doors. Ton of no's but I also got some referrals and it secured a 3K farm to hunt on where I killed my 1st quality heavy mass buck. Never saw anything like that in FL on public. What helped me was I was from the south and they always said; where are ya from??? If the hot lady of the house answers please keep your eyes where they belong.. After I had met that farmer and we hit it off I saw he was wearing a carhart that was 5 yrs past its life span. I gottum a new one.
I'm quite a bit older now but 20 yrs ago it was much easier as the world is connected differently now, but I bet I could use my age to gain access too.
Don't be complacent as private land is always changing hands, keep notes in ur phone etc, Pitch it right, be yourself, honest, clean cut, neat, don't have a rattle trap dump oil on their driveway, etc and with no sir, yes ma'am, etc you will find chunks to hunt.. and like TNBH stated KEEP in contact... for many many reasons

Last edited:
It gets easier the more you do it. I have never sent letters. I have knocked on quite a few places and met a tenant, I doubt most of those letters make it. Not every yes is created equal, and you will get turned down quite a bit. As far as my appearance I gauge the property. I am not dressing the same way to knock on a farmhouse as I am a corner lot of a subdivision.

It gets easier the more you do it. I have never sent letters. I have knocked on quite a few places and met a tenant, I doubt most of those letters make it. Not every yes is created equal, and you will get turned down quite a bit. As far as my appearance I gauge the property. I am not dressing the same way to knock on a farmhouse as I am a corner lot of a subdivision.

Good advice

Know your audience and tweak your presentation style to fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you get permission:
I need to print this out and laminate it. Great advice.

I need to print this out and laminate it. Great advice.

I agree. The one thing I would caution is don’t send pictures of dead deer unless the landowner asks for it. I showed a lady pictures of a bear on her property and she thought it was cool. Later that season I sent her a picture of a buck I killed and she was not happy. She wanted me to kill the deer, she just didn’t want to see them. Weird.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. The one thing I would caution is don’t send pictures of dead deer unless the landowner asks for it. I showed a lady pictures of a bear on her property and she thought it was cool. Later that season I sent her a picture of a buck I killed and she was not happy. She wanted me to kill the deer, she just didn’t want to see them. Weird.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I could totally see that happening. It’s just a fact of life, some people just don’t dig seeing Bambi dead. My wife is that way, she loves animals and would never hunt(she fishes sometimes). Nothing you can do about it.

Back