• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Getting rid of detergent smell

Exhumis

SH Member
Hi folks,
I bought a pair of natural gear Winterceptor pants off eBay (don't judge) and they're in like new shape except for the smell. I dunno what the seller was thinking but they washed them in tide and lawd do they smell. I soaked them in a bucket filled with 1/2 water 1/2 vinegar followed by water with an entire box of baking soda and I still can't get the smell out. Any suggestions? Just hang it outside for awhile?

wash them and let them hang in the sun or use ozone. repeat until the scent is gone
put turn them inside out and put carbon on the inside of them
which ever one you might have readily available

Multiple washings in scent free detergent and airing out would be my suggestion. It takes time, but it'll come out. Ozone will do it too.

It's weird how strong other people's laundry smells once you get used to scent free stuff. My wife has to use hypoallergenic stuff, and after 4 years of using it on everything I can definitely smell "regular" detergent.

Hi folks,
I bought a pair of natural gear Winterceptor pants off eBay (don't judge) and they're in like new shape except for the smell. I dunno what the seller was thinking but they washed them in tide and lawd do they smell. I soaked them in a bucket filled with 1/2 water 1/2 vinegar followed by water with an entire box of baking soda and I still can't get the smell out. Any suggestions? Just hang it outside for awhile?
That stench of that crap sure is persistent.
Several years ago on vacation, my wife insisted that we stop at a laundamat and wash our dirty backpacking clothes before we flew home. We normally travel with a small amount of unscented laundry soap but we didnt have any on that trip. The perfume took dozens of washings before the stench was gone. Synthetics seems to take longer to air out. I hate that crap.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I washed them about 5 times in code blue, didn't work, then I tried the vinegar/baking soda soak. I'll wash em again and hang them out in the sun for a week or so. Good thing hunting season isn't for awhile!
Yeah my son had horrible skin allergies when he was little so we went all hypoallergenic everything. I almost couldn't even stand going to church the miasma of cologne and perfume was overpowering.

I washed them about 5 times in code blue, didn't work, then I tried the vinegar/baking soda soak. I'll wash em again and hang them out in the sun for a week or so. Good thing hunting season isn't for awhile!
Yeah my son had horrible skin allergies when he was little so we went all hypoallergenic everything. I almost couldn't even stand going to church the miasma of cologne and perfume was overpowering.
Hope your son is doing well. My wife fought it a lot as a kid. She's better now, and there are a lot of products on the market vs 10-20 years ago.

Me, I'm lucky. I can bathe in used motor oil and gargle with roach spray. But it's handy to have your laundry scent free de-facto.

Thanks for the suggestions, after a week of hanging outside day and night in the wind and sun the smell is pretty much gone. One more wash ought to do it.

Back