• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Good luck tomorrow, Wisconsin gun hunters

bucksandcohos

Good luck tomorrow, Wisconsin gun hunters. I hate the crowds and stress of opening day, but I'll be out there regardless. My first time gun hunting in a saddle. I miss shooting from the rest of my climber but will have 360 shooting in the saddle.

I am using bow hooks as a rest in some positions. Using the bridge and tether or the tree at other angles. And straight back will be offhand shooting.

I'll be up the tree by 5:00am. Hunting the edge of a swamp where a 6 pointer has been bedding. Deer numbers are way down in my area this year. Worst I've seen it in awhile.

Haven’t heard much shooting so far this morning. Bumped one on the way in and so far have just had two does come through. Debating whether to sit all day in the stand I’m in or move out to a field edge for the evening sit.

Deer numbers are good where I’m at, just doesn’t seem to be a lot of movement this morning.

It got pretty wild about 15 minutes after I posted that. Had a button buck stand directly at the base of the ladder for about 10 minutes, a single doe roll through, then five more behind the single doe with a forky in pursuit. Pretty cool to see.

Wait for all the other guys to come in before you move. Sure there will be a few bumped around.
Love that strategy. My gun hunting days we went from sitting til 10ish then pushing to sitting and letting the neighbors around us get nervous and push deer to us. Heck of a lot easier on the legs, got better shots at deer.

Toughest opener in my memory. Only 7 shots heard on opening day. Just 2 distance ones on Sunday. Time to hit the road and hunt elsewhere.

Back