• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Got some new sticks

Stoney_06

Well, I'm slowly inching my way closer to saddle hunting. It's only taking me about 2 years. Hahaha. Anyways, today I got my first set of climbing sticks in, a set of Helium Hawks. Went and did my fist test climb with them too. I will say they are more sturdy than I thought they would be. I'm definitally going to be hitting the threads to get better pack and climb storage with the sticks. I'm excited to use these instead of packing a heavy steel climber!

I have been watching a bunch of knaider and swaider videos prior to my sticks showing up thinking I was going to need to get higher. After I got to the top I realized that I was just fine there! I admit that in my climber stand I feel much safer at the same height. I was only hooked in with my linemans belt and rope because I wasn't hanging out or do anything fancy, just going up and down. I'm building my amsteel bridge around Monday once the materials gets in and I'll go up a single stick with my actual saddle to move around and get more comfortable. I'm still working on deciding what platform I want to run. I'm thinking some plastic steps on a single strap. Something light and easy. In the mean time do you guys have any tips to get over the height heebies with this setup and become more comfortable in a saddle?

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

You got the best commercially available sticks and the prices on them are great!! If you mod them get some lone wolf versa buttons for sticks and then some static line and they are slightly lighter!! Great choice have a successful safe season!!

You got the best commercially available sticks and the prices on them are great!! If you mod them get some lone wolf versa buttons for sticks and then some static line and they are slightly lighter!! Great choice have a successful safe season!!

Nice! I'm pretty happy with the construction of them. Definitely looking at the versa button mod to get rid of the clunky straps. Going to need a touch of paint too I'm thinking.

Nice! I'm pretty happy with the construction of them. Definitely looking at the versa button mod to get rid of the clunky straps. Going to need a touch of paint too I'm thinking.

Yep that’s really all you need to make them better without cutting them. You can buy the versa buttons from lone wolf and make sure you select the versa buttons for sticks. I order rope from rwropes.com. They are reasonably priced and have lots of options. I am partial to sterling htp static line. I have been using the same rope for the last 3-4 seasons and still looks like new and performs flawlessly.

Back