• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Grapple hook pull rope

miigerlmm

Hasn't been discussed in awhile, but anyone use a grapple hook for pull rope? I'm giving it a try this year with my trad bow.
c941086b662bbe35743fc18061b7f047.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nice little tool to have. I added squid hooks to mine. Picks up just about anything I drop!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190415-145230_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190415-145230_Gallery.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 89
I use a set of rare earth magnets sometimes when I bring a pack.

I read about using a haul rope with a grapple hook on here quite some time ago and knew it was right for me from the first time I used it.
Couple things to consider:
1. Don't skimp on rope diameter, cold fingers and thin ropes aren't like peas and carrots. The trade off with a slightly thicker rope is worth it. Added bonus, tying knots in it will give you an estimate on how high you are set up in the tree.
2. Consider rope management while hauling the rope in a tree. It can get tangled as you haul your gear - trust me. I usually set up with my gear on my right side as I am positioned in my saddle, as I haul it up I pull the excess rope to my left and let it dangle. When my gear is up and hanging, I clean up my mess. I pull up my pack, then my bow in two separate hauls.
3. A little bit of reflective tape on whatever it is that you are lifting with your hook and a head lamp makes a huge difference in the morning darkness, so long as you are intentionally lifting things with it. If you use this as an emergency pick up device for things that fell, use the swing and pray method (caveat - I may have a patent on that technique through AMPLE use).

Back