• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Grappling hook ideas. DIY or off the shelf

Jeremy_D

Anyone have any cool ideas or designs? I know you can get those $15 fold up ones from Amazon but they seem to make a little noise and are Id like some thing even more compact. I like the design of Infalts 3 finger hooker but its over priced IMO for what it does,

@boyne bowhunter has a nice heavy duty 3 prong fishing hook on a string. Simple, easy, cheap..
*This one I got off Amazon is not impressive. To big, clunky, and doesn't work as advertised.*Screenshot_20230624-205404~2.png

@boyne bowhunter has a nice heavy duty 3 prong fishing hook on a string. Simple, easy, cheap..
*This one I got off Amazon is not impressive. To big, clunky, and doesn't work as advertised.*View attachment 86478
ya those are the ones Im not intresed in. Ill probably just end up welding 3 bungee cord hooks onto an I bolt. I just wanted to see if anyone had any cool ideas.

I use a large weighted treble hook, similar to @boyne bowhunter. I filed the barbs off and left the points sharp. I store the hook in a piece of foam so it doesn't stab me.

It works great, although it can be a little tricky in the wind.
6e54e48e2e4d705119cd405565924f62.jpg
aba720e1375658f686621466e1f6196c.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I use a large weighted treble hook, similar to @boynebowhunter. I filed the barbs off and left the points sharp. I store the hook in a piece of foam so it doesn't stab me.

It works great, although it can be a little tricky in the wind.
6e54e48e2e4d705119cd405565924f62.jpg
aba720e1375658f686621466e1f6196c.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
I've retrieved everything you can imagine having in the tree with one of these. Arrows, releases, hats, gloves, cameras, bow . . . . the list goes on and on. You name it I've dropped it or forgot to hook up to it before climbing.

Anyone have any cool ideas or designs? I know you can get those $15 fold up ones from Amazon but they seem to make a little noise and are Id like some thing even more compact. I like the design of Infalts 3 finger hooker but its over priced IMO for what it does,
I've dropped stuff or forgot stuff more than my share. I take my pull up rope, tape or gear tie a carabiner open and use that to hook equipment on the ground. Macgyvered my share.

How much stuff are you guys dropping that a hook device is needed? Do you really use it that often? Asking as a true question. (I dropped a couple of hand warmers during the season last year, that’s about all I can think of.)

How much stuff are you guys dropping that a hook device is needed? Do you really use it that often? Asking as a true question. (I dropped a couple of hand warmers during the season last year, that’s about all I can think of.)
I'm always dropping stuff. I keep my hat, gloves, jackets and a pad loose in the back of my vest and I often drag one of them out along with my platform while setting up. The other big offender is inadvertently bumping my release and knocking it off my bow string loop. I have a loop of light string tied to it so I can easily hook it with my grapple.

I don't drop stuff that often. I don't like carrying more stuff than I need. When you get to my age Sht happens. I forgot to hook my bow on my pull up rope once!! lol

I fish my bow up so I use a hook every time I climb.

I am asking seriously, why? I am always looking for better ways. What am I missing?
I have a stand pack and bow to go up. Stand on my back during original climb. I might try bringing the bow and pack up together on my retractable but if that sucks I'll have to grapple one or the other to get it up

Fair enough, I have Doyle's inside my packs. I hook that to my gun or crossbow, then I tie a pull up rope to my pack. I have dropped a glove once.

This also reminded me that before this next hunting season I need to come up with a way to affix a loop to the phone for hunt days and that can easily remove.....

I found a surplus MOLLE pouch that's small. It is a horizontal zippered pouch what takes up 3 slots in the MOLLE loops. I have it center of my back on the saddle. Grapple, whistle, and a tiny single AA flashlight.......a way to retrieve my stuff, a emergency communication device, and a way to see in the night. I could probably rig up the rappel setup in the pitch black if I really had to but the tiny light would be plenty to see

Screenshot_20230626-064436~2.png

Last edited:
I consider it kinda like the leg relief strap for ur traditional style harness...required equipment u hope u never gotta use

Back