• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ground blind question

Scoutman

First, I know this is a saddle site. I hunt elk and bears every year in Colorado, usually calling and hunting over water,etc, out of a tree. I acquired access to some ground that has some ponds and wallow areas with no trees around. We tried popups this year and they worked on deer and bears but the elk were around but never came in for a shot. The wind out there is never constant it changes all the time. We have been using sagebrush for scent control for years as the hiking,etc, renders scent lok, etc into a expensive sweat suit.
So I'm looking for insight on a enclosed blind of plastic or fiberglass like a maverick 6 shooter or similar that has doors and windows that are sealed, maybe even run a ozonics unit inside. Any thoughts? Here are few pics of one area.
ac4cadf343dc05a38a32f90dd086b836.jpg
7075712a9967b5bd3e07a722b60288f9.jpg
459462a368aff2aa8949806093eaadbb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So no opinions since Halloween, so not alot of ground blind hunting going on,lol.

So no opinions since Halloween, so not alot of ground blind hunting going on,lol.

In SC for deer we have to brush in our ground blinds or the deer keep their distance. Almost totally covered. Or just a thick brush blind. Not sure about elk but if they didn't know it was there my guess would be it would not bother them. Good luck with the elk hunting. An archery elk is on my bucket list.

In SC for deer we have to brush in our ground blinds or the deer keep their distance. Almost totally covered. Or just a thick brush blind. Not sure about elk but if they didn't know it was there my guess would be it would not bother them. Good luck with the elk hunting. An archery elk is on my bucket list.
Thanks CD, I'm from Horry county in SC. Southern deer are sharp, elk take the short bus to school compared to whitetails.

Last year 2017 i really got into small mobile blinds. I bought a really light weight hiking swivel chair and some aluminum tent poles and some camo cover. It worked awesome. As i was seated low and it was not this huge thing that you could see from way off. I always backed up to cover. Had a real nice buck come in super close before he winded me before i could squeeze off a shot.
I was in a traditional blind this year with my son, couple does busted us, then a buck followed them off and never offered us a shot. There was snow cover and the blind stuck out bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha... you are correct about our deer... Ive heard the western whitetail isn't the sharpest tool in the shed either. Im 35 miles north of Columbia. Winnsboro area. Thats awesome your traveling out west to hunt. My best friend has condo in the middle of prime public elk hunting I could use. Ive spent a few winters there and know a few guys that archery hunt it. They have offered to take me along if I can get my stuff together and get out during the season. Its something I really should take advantage of.

Haha... you are correct about our deer... Ive heard the western whitetail isn't the sharpest tool in the shed either. Im 35 miles north of Columbia. Winnsboro area. Thats awesome your traveling out west to hunt. My best friend has condo in the middle of prime public elk hunting I could use. Ive spent a few winters there and know a few guys that archery hunt it. They have offered to take me along if I can get my stuff together and get out during the season. Its something I really should take advantage of.
You'll get hooked and then your done,haha. I grew up hunting in Coronaca and Greenwood near you, small world.

I have ghost blind also. Ive had a few deer in front of it. They looked at it but they were close and my head could have been moving a little. Scout this could work in that tall looking grass by the water hole. At least for temporary

I've hunted off the ground with a mesh leafy jacket, I add lots of extra leaves to my head net to destroy the outline. Ive gotten several kills doing so including an elk. Sometimes to can't hunt the food source or the water but trails leading to them.

I'm gonna build some 6x6 wood blinds with a roof, and put in windows that I can close to help with scent. Gonna try ozone blowing out of blind also, we will see. Wish I had a tree close enough to get 30ft up and just saddle hunt.

I'm gonna build some 6x6 wood blinds with a roof, and put in windows that I can close to help with scent. Gonna try ozone blowing out of blind also, we will see. Wish I had a tree close enough to get 30ft up and just saddle hunt.

Ken, before you build them, let me know. My dad has come up with a way of making them so they travel stacked flat on the trailer, and get assembled in minutes on site. It makes road trips a LOT easier when the whole thing is 12 or 14 inches tall and stacked flat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back