• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gumleaf boots going belly up

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Just a heads up...
I got an email from Jack Butler, owner of Gumleaf USA telling me that the European maker of these boots will stop production.
I guess I'm in his contact list because I bought a pair last year and he's letting me know that in case I wanted another pair, inventory is gonna be low.
Just thought I'd pass this info on to you guys in case there's anyone procrastinating on buying a pair.
So far, I like my boots but the real test will be longevity. They are made with high percentage of pure rubber unlike the crap boots everyone sells that have a high quantity of clay, which is why so much of the footwear just doesn't last. Mine are still relatively new so it's too soon to tell how long they'll last.
Yet again, another manufacturer of high quality gear is going away.

Man, that sucks! Soon we'll be stuck with only crap boots that last one season. I many have to pick up another pair.

How do they fit in comparison to lacrosse?
The Gumleaf boots I have are a softer rubber than my Lacrosse. They are lighter weight than Lacrosse and slimmer profile. There is not as much stiffness in the Gumleafs as in the Lacrosse and the Gumleafs fit snugger. The Gumleafs have less ankle support since they are softer. If you are serious about a pair, call up the company and talk to the guy who own it and he can advise you on sizing.

Are actually rubber boots warmer than the cheapy ones?
Everything has trade-offs.
Most of the main store brand "rubber" boots, whether insulated or uninsulated, are generally junk. Most "rubber" boots have a high content of clay instead of real rubber. The downside to genuine rubber is cost, but they last longer so they may actually be more affordable in the long run.
If you are just talking about the warmth factor, then that's a whole other discussion.

My Gumleaf are crazy light. The only lighter boot are Tingley, but they have sole issues and do not provide ankle support very well.

Le Chameau is the better boot. Their Chasseur boots have been the best 100% rubber hunting boot for 50+ years. Gumleaf ran a close second, though. Hate to see them fold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those look pretty nice. Thanks for the heads up.
I wonder how long the zipper will stay waterproof. I really like the concept of the wool lining. Has to be more odor-free than a neoprene boot.
Wool lined ones only have a couple sizes in stock. I wonder how often they replenish the other sizes.

Those look pretty nice. Thanks for the heads up.
I wonder how long the zipper will stay waterproof. I really like the concept of the wool lining. Has to be more odor-free than a neoprene boot.
Wool lined ones only have a couple sizes in stock. I wonder how often they replenish the other sizes.

I run a pair of the Vierzonords. They’re great as well, just don’t have the calf measurement specificity of the Chasseurs. The fit and the heavy lug soles are what I love about them. A German fellow I hunt with is who turned me onto them. He’s hunting a pair of Chasseurs he’s had for over 20yrs, and all he’s ever done is still hunted. No telling how many miles are on those boots and they’re still fully waterproof. Even if the zipper were to malfunction it shouldn’t affect waterproofing. The boot is gussetted behind the zipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like I procrastinated to long this time. I have been looking at them for over 3 years now but keep saying that I could get one more year out of my budget Muck boots. Let's just say, I totally wore them past functional use, just went to the burn pile last week. I thought the company was doing great in Europe. Thanks for the heads up!

Looks like I procrastinated to long this time. I have been looking at them for over 3 years now but keep saying that I could get one more year out of my budget Muck boots. Let's just say, I totally wore them past functional use, just went to the burn pile last week. I thought the company was doing great in Europe. Thanks for the heads up!
Yeah, that's the main reason I posted. I figured someone on here was probably procrastinating a bit too long.
Chasseurs look pretty good too. I really like the idea of the wool liner. Gotta be less prone to odor.

Back