• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gun Hunting With a Saddle

mbeard1969

Mar 6, 2015
West Tennessee
Anyone found a way to get a good rest for long shots with a gun in a tree saddle? I don't ever seem to get a good enough rest just propping it up against the tree.

brydan

Oct 15, 2015
Maybe you could try a good shooting sling to help steady the shot. There's the 1907 service rifle sling but for hunting I like the Latigo or Whelen sling better. There's another simple one called the Mountain Shooter sling that looks nice too but have never used it.

Maustypsu

Oct 5, 2015
I once bought a replacement for this. The top piece that is curved rubber has a pin coming down from it to attach to the stick.
I drilled a hole in a 2x4 that made the pin a snug fit.

At that point I clamped down to a box blind for rifle hunting. But certainly someone more creative could help you fashion something similar (1/2" PVC that the pin slides thru both sides to help keep it tight?). And a strap (maybe double wrap a strap on top and bottom of a T attached to the pipe). OK, now someone who knows what they are talking about come up with a practical solve... :lol:

essdub

Feb 22, 2015
Greenville South Carolina area
Most of the places I hunt, there aren't any long distance shots to be made. So I really prefer to use my bow. With that said, though, I do still use a rifle regularly. From the saddle, I usually place a screw in step below my pack to use as a rest so that I will have one if I get the shot that I expect. We know how that goes ,though. So for any other direction ,I end up wrapping my sling around my arm and dropping all my weight onto the rope strap that I'm hanging from, really lean my side against the tree so I am as steady and still as possible.I've taken a deer and a bunch of small game with a rifle from my saddle that way. But, like I said before, I'm really more of a bow guy