• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hands down best huntin advice !!!!

JAYBO

What is the single most important piece of advice, tip or huntin secret anyone ever told you about deer huntin?

I'll go first, my huntin mentor told me to stop huntin the pretty spots and huntin where the deer are. If you're not seeing fresh feed sign, fresh tracks, and droppings. You are not huntin deer your just killing time, value time.

Last edited:
Don't try to run before you can even crawl. Experience is the big deciding factor between you and others that you are trying to copy. Luck also play a big part sometimes. So don't be jealous of what other have done or experienced just because you have not have the same level of success. Honestly, you're family is not going to starve because you didn't bring home meat, and they only care that you are happy and had a good time. All the pressure you THINK you have to be a real 'hunter' is self given. You don't need to prove yourself to anyone except yourself.

The best time to hunt is when you can hunt. Don't wait on "perfect weather"
Access, access, access. Get your enter and exit routes as bombproof as you can
Hunt where they are, not where you want them to be
Always be improving. Wether its reading sign, identifying feed trees, shooting your bow etc...

If you want to consistently kill mature bucks, stop hunting deer. One of the best pieces of advice I have gotten.

Another was to always take a compass reading on the last place you saw a hit deer and the last place you could hear a hit deer. If you dont have blood it will give you the a good line for starting a search.

One I give, dont call your buddies to come help trail a deer unless they are experienced, good trailers. Especially on a poorly hit deer or one you are unsure of the hit.

Back