• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hauling sticks up?

Tembo

What are some fast simple ways to hook sticks to the saddle for the climb up? This is slowing me down and I gotta find a better way tha twisted copper wire hooks.

I just hang the end of the rope on the previous stick after I put it on the tree... I hang my platform on my saddle as I climb and I don't like being a windchime up there

EWO kydex clips. They slide nicely into the molle loops on your saddle. I just install a loop of paracord to each stick. Another method is the ball bungee cords, girth hitch them to a molle loop and just loop the tag end around your stick. The Kydex clips with paracord girth hitched to each stick is a much slicker system though.

Safety buzzkill checking in… I used to have some paracord on my sticks that would keep them oriented fairly perpendicular to my torso as I climbed but have gotten a little lazy about it. This year they’re just dangling there but I still want to figure out a better way… I don’t really love climbing with two aluminum spears pointed at my torso, it’s all good provided you never take a fall, even a very short one.

People make such a big deal of this. Hang a stick, attach 2 to me with slider loops, stand on back and pack/bow attached to me on webbing for pull up. Climb up with stick 2. Set it, 3, 4, stand off back onto tree. Climb in pull up crap and organize. I can’t think of a simpler method. I love my LWCG aiders. Never reach too high with aiders, coming down your boot cleats will catch and you can’t get your foot out.

This kinda situation is where EWO really shines.
I second @woodsdog2 on the kydex hooks, and this past year I tried the webbing retainers with good success. I just slide them into my saddle’s molle system, loop the cord around my stick standoffs and the sticks don’t budge while I climb.

Back