• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Have you noticed this?

Scoutman

I've noticed over the years that if I hunt terrain features and not so much exact feed areas that I can consistently hunt the same tree per se every year. I had areas with consistent buck sign every year so I would set up locations along those areas for different winds etc. Entry and exit is not as critical as deer dont linger in those areas, just pass through to a destination. You dont see as many but it only takes one to make a bad hunt good. It seems you can hunt these areas consistently and not burn them out. Anyone else seen this? I hunted in my youth with a gentleman who has probably killed over 300 deer, he carried a spirit loc-on in every hunt! He had trees prepped everywhere. He used to preach hunting terrain not necessarily a ton of sign.

Thats exactly how I hunt right now. With two young kids, I dont have time to scout and keep up with sign/scheduling etc. These corridors and funnels tend to be the places I actually see deer the most consitently. I like to find the "On and off ramps" where terrain changes significantly and they need to change gears or pause for a minute. They seem to return to the these areas as well even when I have spooked them.

Funny, I just came from a thread where I kinda mentioned hunting pinch points on days when the wind was fickle and a bedding area hunt (or anywhere deer would linger) would be a recipe for a blow-fest.

I don't always practice what I preach, but I believe in a 3-legged stool approach. I try to hunt areas that:

1. Have current deer sign. No use hunting where the deer ain't.
  2. Are in/near thick cover areas and have low hunting pressure relative to the surrounding area.
  3. Have a terrain feature than will concentrate deer movement.
Spots like these are few and far between. But if you find them and hunt them at the right time, they tend to produce. I try to pass on "ok" spots and find areas that scream "hunt me!"

Funny, I just came from a thread where I kinda mentioned hunting pinch points on days when the wind was fickle and a bedding area hunt (or anywhere deer would linger) would be a recipe for a blow-fest.

I don't always practice what I preach, but I believe in a 3-legged stool approach. I try to hunt areas that:

1. Have current deer sign. No use hunting where the deer ain't.
  2. Are in/near thick cover areas and have low hunting pressure relative to the surrounding area.
  3. Have a terrain feature than will concentrate deer movement.
Spots like these are few and far between. But if you find them and hunt them at the right time, they tend to produce. I try to pass on "ok" spots and find areas that scream "hunt me!"
Went to Oklahoma this am in the rain, put in the canoe, went to a spot I found last year, a oak ridge by a fallow field where 4 trails intersect by a creek. Sign looked good, tracks, rubs, etc. Set up a oak tree, my boots filled up with rain, lol. I love setting up a spot in the rain, scent gone immediately. Jumped 2 hogs when I beached the canoe. Hope to hunt Monday or Tuesday if weather permits. Red river is above flood stage so things change fast.
e3cb756ad9ee44e1f5b7cabe0d0ccf9c.jpg
d0df359e09f0c62fde620d2e7a8ef6ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

A like choke points. Good way to catch deer as they pass through an area

Went to Oklahoma this am in the rain, put in the canoe, went to a spot I found last year, a oak ridge by a fallow field where 4 trails intersect by a creek. Sign looked good, tracks, rubs, etc. Set up a oak tree, my boots filled up with rain, lol. I love setting up a spot in the rain, scent gone immediately. Jumped 2 hogs when I beached the canoe. Hope to hunt Monday or Tuesday if weather permits. Red river is above flood stage so things change fast.
e3cb756ad9ee44e1f5b7cabe0d0ccf9c.jpg
d0df359e09f0c62fde620d2e7a8ef6ba.jpg

Wish there was hunting like that around here. If i don't see anything, I'd be psyched to get a paddle in! Looks like a blast.

Paddle hunts are the best hunts.

I mighta bit off a little too much today though. What I thought was a 6 mile round trip was closer to 10.

I'm whipped.

Place I hunted was silly with hogs though. Saw three different sounders. Where's my rifle when I need it?
930862c2431cd369f19b2c3a7b249885.jpg
948abb414777b7b6319142c1794a63cb.jpg
a55d0188d3ce6dab8e90389ec1e6ed1b.jpg
4fa9bf43b87e5d4cbe4152b7ab024031.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Paddle hunts are the best hunts.

I mighta bit off a little too much today though. What I thought was a 6 mile round trip was closer to 10.

I'm whipped.

Place I hunted was silly with hogs though. Saw three different sounders. Where's my rifle when I need it?
930862c2431cd369f19b2c3a7b249885.jpg
948abb414777b7b6319142c1794a63cb.jpg
a55d0188d3ce6dab8e90389ec1e6ed1b.jpg
4fa9bf43b87e5d4cbe4152b7ab024031.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Looks like paradise. Snow here last night, but just a dusting. Supposed to be colder tomorrow...hopING I get out and things are moving!

Looks like paradise. Snow here last night, but just a dusting. Supposed to be colder tomorrow...hopING I get out and things are moving!
Snow are you kidding me! Coldest I've ever been was in Greenville Alabama one January, snowing and rainy! Was awesome.

What are some things to look for when searching out choke points?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guided rifle elk hunters for 2 seasons in Colorado, colder in Alabama.
My last elk hunt was knee deep snow. Low teens and if I got cold I would walk a little then glass some more. Came home and absolutely froze in a tree stand at 32 degrees in Georgia.
As far as the pinch points go I like them. We have very few terrain features. Rivers lakes and fields help steer deer. If I’m fortunate enough to own a large property someday the entire property will be designed around creating deer hunting opportunities.

What are some things to look for when searching out choke points?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Edges and physical barriers are big indicators.
To give an example of the idea, here is an aerial from a random location that would pique my interest. The big field creates a barrier, since it doesn’t provide enough cover for deer in daylight. The creek and swamp downwind of the field corner limits deer traffic to within 80 yards of the field if they want cover. I would suspect daily travel in that section because it is the main cover connecting a big chunk of woods to the north, and anither big chunk of woods to the southwest. Also, I would expect early morning and late evening buck travel during pre-rut and rut in that inside corner scent checking the field and trails for hot does.
BF62A594-28F4-48A1-91FA-878B65529A83.jpeg

The not so obvious choke points are always the best. They are even in big woods once you figure out what your looking for the biggest hurdle is gone.

Back