• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Heated socks vs heated insoles?

BlackpowderGuy (AJHS)

SH Member
As we get into colder days, anybody have any experiences particularly good or bad with heated socks or heated insoles? Cold toes are usually what does me in while hunting in December and January....I already wear thick merino socks. Have not had much luck with chemical warmers...I think not enough oxygen gets to them.

Here’s a thread covering socks,
Personally I prefer socks. I’ve found them to functionally last longer than insoles, plus I can use them during the off season camping, watching kids games, etc.

I got a pair of Gerbing 7V Ultimate merino wool heated socks for my birthday. I've only used them once but they were awesome. Socks are very long (almost to knees) and the battery pack sits at the top outside leg side. You can feel the wires a little but the warm feet far outweighed feeling some wires at least to me. I can not speak to longevity or anything like that yet.

I haven't used the heated before, but I plan on buying a pair to try out. I did however use the heated insoles last year and didn't like them at all. They did heat up ok, but they didn't have enough cushioning and they made my feet hurt bad. I would definitely try the the socks before the insoles.

My daughter just bought me a pair of heated socks for my birthday. I've worn them a couple of times now while sitting for about 2 hours or so in 20 degree temps each time. They are pretty soft and comfortable and they did keep my feet warm but my toes were a little chilly compared to the rest of my foot. Still a lot better than the disposable hand/foot warmers imo.

My daughter just bought me a pair of heated socks for my birthday. I've worn them a couple of times now while sitting for about 2 hours or so in 20 degree temps each time. They are pretty soft and comfortable and they did keep my feet warm but my toes were a little chilly compared to the rest of my foot. Still a lot better than the disposable hand/foot warmers imo.

The ones you put INSIDE the boot just don't get enough oxygen usually. My arctic shield boot blankets are basically hot hands holders.

I was gifted heated insoles but haven’t used them because my boots have custom orthotics. That’s maybe something to consider.

As we get into colder days, anybody have any experiences particularly good or bad with heated socks or heated insoles? Cold toes are usually what does me in while hunting in December and January....I already wear thick merino socks. Have not had much luck with chemical warmers...I think not enough oxygen gets to them.
Question. Do you wear your heavy/thick merino socks to the treestand I.e. walking in? If so, how far is that for you typically? Also, what boots do you use? Insulation amount? If you sometimes use mud boots, sometimes lace up/hikers do you typically find one to be colder than the other. Lastly, what temperature range are we looking at?

Back