• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello from East Ohio

Jturkey605

Oct 19, 2021
Hello all. I am a new member from East Central Ohio. I am looking to get into bow hunting and like the idea of saddle hunting but I have never tried climbing a tree or repelling down it. Are there any resources someone can point me to so I can learn/practice? I have watched a few of the YouTube videos but am kind of overwhelmed. I would like to find someplace local to attend a class or something. Any help is greatly appreciated. I will continue to cruise this site for stuff as well.

Thanks in advance.

Bigterp

Staff member
SH Member
Sep 11, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome from Maryland! There’s a ton of info here. Personally I’d try to find someone relatively close & see how it’s done it would be better to get some hands on experience. But it can be done by just practicing low until your comfortable.

MattMan81

SH Member
Jan 13, 2020
The Mitten
Welcome from Mi!
For Rappelling, practice lots at ground level. Set your rope up high and practice just sitting down to the ground. There is several ways to safely do it. Finding a class is a good idea as well. I was pretty nervous the first few go arounds. But after a while got the hang of it.
Which method do you think your going to use?

Jagger0502

SH Member
Oct 26, 2020
Welcome from western pa. I work in Ohio often, if you are in my territory for work I don’t mind stopping by and letting you try my setup. Feel free to reach out.

Jturkey605

Oct 19, 2021
Welcome from Mi!
For Rappelling, practice lots at ground level. Set your rope up high and practice just sitting down to the ground. There is several ways to safely do it. Finding a class is a good idea as well. I was pretty nervous the first few go arounds. But after a while got the hang of it.
Which method do you think your going to use?
I am looking at the gear from Tethrd but as far as methods I am not sure where to even start. Trying to keep cost and sticker shock (mainly for the other half) low. I like the idea of starting low and slow too. Thank you for the help.

phatkaw

SH Member
Feb 23, 2021
Western Pa
Howdy
Bowhunting, and saddle hunting in particular is a great way spend some money.

I'm surprised to hear you say that you never climbed a tree.
Remember, just 'cause you climbed a tree doesn't mean you have to rappel back down... (even though it's fun)

Youtube is how I learned about saddle huntin in the first place. I've been bowhunting for 30 some years and never even heard about it before last winter.

This is the best place for information. Read,read,read...

Jturkey605

Oct 19, 2021
LOL...I should have said that differently... I used to climb a lot of trees back in the day growing up but never with ropes and carabiners and hunting gear...yet. And you aind kiddin about the money...

phatkaw

SH Member
Feb 23, 2021
Western Pa
Hahaha
I kinda figured that's what you meant.

I might be fairly close to you? I live about 10 minutes from the Clintonville exit on I-80.
I have a bunch of saddle stuff to tryout if you're ever in the neighborhood.

Bigterp

Staff member
SH Member
Sep 11, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
I am looking at the gear from Tethrd but as far as methods I am not sure where to even start. Trying to keep cost and sticker shock (mainly for the other half) low. I like the idea of starting low and slow too. Thank you for the help.
I’d get some used stuff off classifieds instead of buying new. As for repelling I’d start with a figure 8 & VT prussic as a backup. Especially if your keeping the cost down….

Reactions: Jturkey605

Jturkey605

Oct 19, 2021
Hahaha
I kinda figured that's what you meant.

I might be fairly close to you? I live about 10 minutes from the Clintonville exit on I-80.
I have a bunch of saddle stuff to tryout if you're ever in the neighborhood.
I am in the Tuscarawrus County area but I like the idea of the prussic .... I can see myself getting into this

Jtoddg

Jul 16, 2019
Ohio
I'm from Holmes County if you want to try out a phantom saddle. I don't rappel down. I use climbing sticks.

Jturkey605

Oct 19, 2021
I'm from Holmes County if you want to try out a phantom saddle. I don't rappel down. I use climbing sticks.
So to ask a follow up question, when using climbing sticks, your gear basically consists of a tether with a Prussik and a carabiner that links you to your saddle, a lineman's rope, a series of sticks and of course a saddle? The main difference between using a series of sticks versus 1 stick method is that the tether is longer so that you can repel instead of reverse the process you had when climbing up?

phatkaw

SH Member
Feb 23, 2021
Western Pa
So to ask a follow up question, when using climbing sticks, your gear basically consists of a tether with a Prussik and a carabiner that links you to your saddle, a lineman's rope, a series of sticks and of course a saddle? The main difference between using a series of sticks versus 1 stick method is that the tether is longer so that you can repel instead of reverse the process you had when climbing up?

^^^ watch this.

This dude is one of us... ( @onestringer )

Reactions: onestringer