• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

HELP Wild Edge Steps Uncammed While In The Tree

Zddog

Hey everyone,

I used my Wild Edge Steps for the first time yesterday. Overall experience was pretty good. Going up the tree I had some issues trying to get a feel for camming the step over, but was able to get up pretty quick. I also loved how compact and light weight the steps are as they fit inside my backpack while carrying them to and from the stand. I truly like the product and hope to figure out how to best utilize these steps.

Here are the issues I experienced and concerned me with the steps and was hoping someone was able to tell me if I did something wrong or if these are normal issues with the Wild Edge Steps:

1. When I was trying to use the steps as a platform I had issues getting the 4th step on as a platform on the backside of the tree. Anyone have any hints/tips for making a platform. It was difficult weaving them all around and trying to cam them over.

2. The steps are solid for the most part, but my main step I was using for a platform kicked out sideways and almost slid out to be useless midway through my sit. I know everyone said these steps don't kick out so I'm sure I did something wrong.

3. THIS IS MY BIGGEST CONCERN: When I was getting down at night I went to look down and saw that my step under my platform had UNCAMMED itself. This never crossed my mind as to something that could happen. I was pretty much stuck up on my platform for 30 mins trying to figure out a solution as to how I could get down the tree because there were 2 other steps (out on my 8 steps used as my ladder that uncammed too). Has anyone experience this before? Why would it happen? Did I do something wrong? What's the solution?
HOW I GOT DOWN: I kept my linemans belt on and reattached my tether and brought my tether to about just above my platform and slide down to the step that uncammed itself. Just to note when I stood on the uncammed step it actually held me up and didn't slide down the tree (which I thought was going to happen).
I think if I wasn't in my trophy line tree saddle and was in just a normal safety harness I think I would have been screwed. I'm wondering is it always the case that when those steps do uncam are they always able to be stood on without them sliding down the tree?

I suspect you dont have the ropes properly braided through the step if they are "uncamming". Each side of the rope needs to pass under the standouts. I am also relatively new but with proper rope placement and tension... there is no way for these things to move.

Four steps is really diifcult to get on as a platform. Three can be a challenge at times to put on at the same level. I never use more than three and if it's a smaller tree I only use two. You shouldn't need the fourth to sheet 360.

Regarding the step tht kicked out and the ones that uncammed that is most likely from your ropes being over the standoffs like mentioned above. You also might not be lifting the standoffs above the plane of the rope before camming. There are several videos on wild edge's YouTube channel giving pointers on how to use the steps. The videos make it clearer than me trying to explain it here.

Did you properly stretch out the ropes prior to your first use?

Also, what was mentioned above is the only thing I can think of as well.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Good advice above. I would add that I have found it handy to have a short runner (loop) to clip into my tether and create a redsquirrel aider on the fly. Good thing for self rescue situations.

Good advice above. I would add that I have found it handy to have a short runner (loop) to clip into my tether and create a redsquirrel aider on the fly. Good thing for self rescue situations.
Do you have a link for this? I like this idea and that was something I was going to try to implement because I think its a nice to have.

Did you properly stretch out the ropes prior to your first use?

Also, what was mentioned above is the only thing I can think of as well.

I'm going to probably say no I didn't properly stretch the ropes because I am not sure what you are talking about lol :flushed:

What do most of you guys do the original knot or the new one?

Just put the steps on a large tree overnight. The ropes will stretch slightly and then should be good. I didn't do this at first and had some come loose but didn't uncam. Still a bit sketchy to climb back down from 20 plus feet.

Just search for the red squirrel aider and you should be able to find it. I don't know how to link posts otherwise i would.

As far as the knot goes, I am going to switch to the new one. I have been using the old style up to recently.

Really... in worst case scenario you use the friction of the tree and can lower yourself accordingly

I would recommend going to their youtube channel ... I've studied those videos many times. Also, when I got my steps in, there was an orange warning paper stating that they need to be stretched. I have yet to climb with these and am debating whether or not getting the predator platform or using these steps for my platform. Now you got me thinking haha

A forum search will yield a very detailed thread...

In a nut shell what it is is a rope that you girth hitch in the tree with a Ropeman or Kong Duck and it has a foot loop on the carabiner. In other words, it’s just like most folks tether plus a foot loop.

So i just carry a loop for when I need it.

The ascender makes it easy to adjust the location of the foot loop to wherever you need it.

I have uncammed a couple with my pull up rope. As long as you step on them close to the tree they will hold. I imagine they slipped downward when you climbed on them then just flipped up when you took your weight off of them. There has been a common theme lately with people camming them over with the spliced side over the standoff. Maybe they aren’t running them tight enough but the many times I’ve tried to cam it over with the rope on the wrong side of the standoff I knew something was wrong as soon as I tried to cam it over.

As far as putting four steps onto a tree I think it is really difficult to get that many on there. I used 3, one to the right one to the left on the same plane and then I put one that I stand on directly under me lower than the other two. This seems to be a little bit quicker and easier.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
e83ea1cacdf77993af157e0047a0bc0d.jpg

Back